Homestead Livestock

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Wonder why? Does this produce a Dexter with his transmission dragging the ground? :D
haha
he walks on cement and ya get sparks out the back end
:lol:

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
FC, links to other forums aren't allowed via The Rules. :/

I agree that different animals will have different needs...
Too MUCH copper will kill a sheep. Over time it can also build up in their bodies and kill them from that.
So I guess if you feed the cow a mineral that has copper be sure the sheep don't get into it.

I wonder how animals now their minerals before such domestication and commercialization? Obviously they often ate dirt, but I wonder about the animals in certain mineral deficit areas?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
FC, links to other forums aren't allowed via The Rules.

If you didn't point it out, maybe it would have been overlooked by, say, everyone! ;)

you aren't the forum snitch are ya? :gig :gig :gig

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
So...who is in favor of adapting another category and unofficially renaming it and using it for homestead livestock until they develop one for us. Say....one of the energy categories?
You got my vote......

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Crested ducks are another case of a lethal gene. Those cute little hairdos are actually caused by a skull defect. If you breed a crested to a crested, most ducklings will die in the shell. Some will hatch OK. Others will hatch with nasty deformities and then die.

And now you know why I refuse to own or breed crested ducks.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Interesting thread! And, if anyone needs (or wants) to know about mineral requirements in horses, LMK. I have a book called Nutrient Requirements of Horses. It has charts in it of what horses need based on weight as well as activity level. And while it doesn't list every mineral, it does list those that are most important. It also has charts in it w/averages of the amounts of different minerals, etc in most common feed ingredients. (Corn, wheat, oats, etc.)

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:

If you didn't point it out, maybe it would have been overlooked by, say, everyone! ;)

No... not me. After all the posts that I've had edited, I begin to wonder. Just watching out for crime like a good little boy!
gigglesmile.gif

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Blackbird said:
FarmerChick said:

No... not me. After all the posts that I've had edited, I begin to wonder. Just watching out for crime like a good little boy!
http://www.pic4ever.com/images/gigglesmile.gif
Crime? This was a crime? :lol:
I go to jail and you get a Robin outfit for yourself :gig

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Interesting thread! And, if anyone needs (or wants) to know about mineral requirements in horses, LMK. I have a book called Nutrient Requirements of Horses. It has charts in it of what horses need based on weight as well as activity level. And while it doesn't list every mineral, it does list those that are most important. It also has charts in it w/averages of the amounts of different minerals, etc in most common feed ingredients. (Corn, wheat, oats, etc.)
I would be interested in this. Part of my problem is that I have a mixed herd of two horses, one calf, and two sheep. They all spend the winter months in the same paddock (dry lot) and share the same hay bale, but I need to know what suppls to give each critter.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
if you are wanting to feed "just the basic" mineral supp

then hit Tractor Supply store and buy loose mineral bags for each critter

when feeding the goats, just put a small scoop of the mineral in their feed, the horse the same, the cow the same.

Each critter does have its own bag of mineral supp at the store and can easily be fed into their feed buckets on top of their other feed.

One thing I do know about my animals, they are so well taken care of that feeding supps is almost not needed. We give great vet care, we feed well, they have their pasture for finding some of their own minerals while grazing etc etc....as I am sure yours are. So to go crazy on the supps for non working animals seems sometimes to be over the top ya know. In the beginning of my goat biz, I fed all supps, baking soda, etc etc etc everything I could read up on they got and it cost money! well in the end when I had over 120 does I decided to cut back all those supps and save cash...and yup honestly there was no difference in the kidding rates or health of the goats LOL
of course I kept them on goat mineral blocks which they ate at free will and everyone was just as perfect as when I was spending big bucks on supps etc

just a thought for ya lol