Homestead sales

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just wondering what kind of goods you guys make and sell from the homestead and what you charge for them.

So far we have just sold eggs for $3 a dozen. It seems to help offset feed costs but some friends are telling me that my wife should sell some of her canned goods. So I'm sending her with a case of pint jars of different things she's has pickled. Okra, spicy okra, sweet relish, dill relish, bread and butter pickles etc. We are going to see if she can get $5 a pint. That's not much of a profit when you factor in the costs of the garden and canning supplies but I think it's a profit none the less.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Where is she going - for sales?

I sell eggs & make goat milk soaps. Sell at a couple beauty shops, feed stores & some town craft & festival events. It makes cute stocking stuffers, teacher gift baskets, etc. I do make cheese but normally use it as gift items for friends, neighbors, co-workers, etc.

Most states have "cottage laws" or something along that line name wise, that define what, where, how, you can sell without issue. Again, some things require certain packaging, even some kitchen inspections, etc. Never know. Your county Ag office can tell you info or at least where to find it.

For instance, in VA we cannot sell raw milk. But many farmers have sold "herd shares", so you own a portion of the herd or animal and since it "yours" they cannot deprive you of the raw milk. You pay a board fee to the farmer to care for the animal. That equates to farmer income. There are a couple cow "herd share" programs that get about 800+ a month per cow! I figured it out!! PLUS if "owner" isn't picking up, a delivery fee to a central pick-up -- generally a customer who then gets free delivery for handling product for several others. I know of one such goat operation locally but, a few further inland. hundred miles or so. You can sell raw for "craft or pet use". I'm pretty sure some of the humans bark! :lol: BUT cannot tell you it is for them -- then You are liable & subject to prosecution.

There's always a balance that you need between time & acceptable income. I would love to stay home FT & have the farm contribute enough to offset some of my work now. I feel I need about 2-3 yrs for that (tractor will be paid!) I'm looking at connecting with someone with a farmer market stall in a high traffic location and selling veggies & flowers to or with them. I raise, they buy & sell. There are a few "families" that have an interest in buying direct from the farm as they want fresh and no garden area. Have to be careful with insurance coverage there. Plus I don't want "just anyone" arriving at my farm.

Chickens pretty much offset feed with egg sales...but, I free range!! If I raised more chicks, can sell those easily. Goats, kid sales generally offset most of their feed. Again, lots of pasture & browse helps. I could milk a lot more if I concentrated on it & plan to this kidding.

I have all the milk, cheese, soap, eggs, chicken & goat meat if I want it, that I need (& my 2 kids). Veggies...as much as I want to grow & preserve. Anything above that is excellent, IMO. It's lot of work but, I love it. A farmer will NEVER earn what they are due for their production!

milkmansdaughter

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We're looking at making and selling garden raised bed boxes, and possibly rabbit hutches, and small chicken houses, and possible pecan wood. We have a LOT of free wood right now. Eventually, were hoping to sell fruits and nuts and possibly veggies at a farmer's market. We have chickens for eggs and meat, and plan on adding rabbits next, then bees. This year, we planted 16 blueberry bushes, 5 blackberry, 3 lime trees, an olive tree, and a peach tree, plus we already have established 2 pear trees, 1 apple tree, two black walnut, multiple pecan, 1 fig, and both muscadine and scuppernong grapes. Add a big crop of veggies, and hopefully we'll have enough for ourselves plus extra of everything to sell. We expect to lose money this first year or two as we get everything established, but have a 3-5 year goal to have it all paying for itself eventually.

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
So far the sales have been going well. People love that pickled okra. I think the wife made $100 this week on eggs and cans. That will cover feed for the month and buy some more supplies.

Really makes me want bees....

Chic Rustler

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We are wanting trees pretty bad.

Well she took a case of goods and sold them all in one day. She also got several orders for more. But we can't liquidate the entire pantry.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
@Hinotori, you've got a dozen fertile giant silkie hatching eggs with my name on them? I mean, when you get that far. Because, seriously, I need them in my life. Especially if they get broody like the little ones do.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
@Hinotori, you've got a dozen fertile giant silkie hatching eggs with my name on them? I mean, when you get that far. Because, seriously, I need them in my life. Especially if they get broody like the little ones do.

It's just a mutation for large size. I crossed nothing else in. One of the big pullets laid 4 eggs and went broody at 28 weeks. So normal silkies. It will take another year or so to get all big chicks. Just don't have the gene pool there yet. Have to be careful with the inbreeding.

Still trying to fix the rooster color, but that is almost done. I need to fix the combs and the too big wattle issue that crops up sometimes.

I haven't completely eliminated the morehead gene, so black heads do show up sometimes depending on who I breed. It's actually against APA standard for the partridge color but is very showy.

So the first big boy is fully filled out now at 16 months I think. He's 4 pounds 12 ounces. I'll record weight at 2 years as well. Normal silkie roosters weigh 2 pounds 4 ounces.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
We're looking at making and selling garden raised bed boxes, and possibly rabbit hutches, and small chicken houses, and possible pecan wood. We have a LOT of free wood right now.

Cut the pecan wood about 6-8 inches long, split it to kindling size. Tie it in bundles with a pretty ribbon and tie some with hay string, just to see which one sells first. Make a sign for pecan smoking wood. Explain how to lay the pecan wood on top of the coals for the pecan smoke flavor. I do that with hickory twigs. No way I'm going to build a BBQ fire with all hickory, only need a little bit!

Jeffeff95

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
As of right now we just sell eggs, $5 for a dozen. Covers feed and little things we need.
I am currently trying to hatch more ducks so I can have more laying eggs.
A personal friend of mine has been selling a dozen duck eggs for $15! Little more money on that end.