HOMESTEADING AND PHYSICAL DISABILITIES

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
We have also had the "if I go first" discussions multiple times. I've told hubby that if I go first, I WANT him to re-marry. If I don't pick out a good woman before then for him, I hope he will start scouting for one at my funeral. She must be loving, kind, have a good sense of humor, and be able to cook. Above all, she must love Jesus. A cord of 3 strands is not easily broken. On the property, the first things to go will be: the chicken flock, the garden, and the orchard, in that order!

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bee, the take away from your excellent post: keep moving. Move it or loose it.

I think working to keep core muscles strong, (not just legs and arms!) and focusing on balance is a great tool to maintain youth.

I do physical therapy for a living. I work with the geriatric population. Often with folks who have had severe strokes, and even quad or paraplegia. Even in patients with such severe disabilities, I can lay my hands on a patient, and within minutes, I KNOW what kind of life style they lived: active or sedentary. I can even tell who has dancing in their back ground! The body retains motor memory. Even when faced with old age and atrophy, that motor memory is still there!

So, even in my leisure time, I seek ways to challenge my core strength and balance. During the last few weeks, I've gone paddle boarding, kayaking, and beach walking, as well as battling the waves. Let me tell you: paddle boarding, and wave battle provide fantastic balance and core work outs. When I don't get to the water... I do basic balance work at home: single leg mini squats are great for challenging the balance, and adding leg strength.

Too busy to do single leg squats? Never! I work it into my routine. 2 minutes at the sink to brush my teeth = enough time to get in a good leg work out! I've even done mini single leg squats while standing at church singing!... Or simply stand on one leg!!!
Wanna get a real balance challenge? Try it with eyes closed! Never do a balance challenge unless you can do so safely, have something to grab onto, and are confident that you can do so without falling down (unless in the water).

If you can get to a pool or beach, that provides infinite opportunity for gentle strengthening in a gravity free environment (translation: easier on the joints) while providing fantastic resistance. (body movement against the water pressure)

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
There was an elderly woman not far from me, years back, who needed to walk a lot but lived in the country, alone, didn't want to be on the little roads. So -- she walked the perimeter of her property lot!! They measured the distance and established # of times she needed to walk that lot for a mile. She walked every morning -- eventually, wore a path!! :D

Consider that. :idunno Or a treadmill from a 2nd hand store?

My MIL: lives on a short little dead end road. She often walks the length of her road (86 y.o.). She raises eyebrows when she'll casually mention that she's a street walker.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Staying mentally & physically fit as long as you can, from as early as you can, makes all the difference in your "golden years". Not always golden but, sometimes we can make them sweeter. Eating well is a part of it, also.

When I built this house, 20 yrs ago, I had all the interior doors put in wider, the shower very, very large, with open areas at all. Thus, walkers and wheelchairs could maneuver, shower easily used with hand bars and plenty of room to use a seat/chair, or roll in with a lip adaptor on the entrance. It was a blessing when my mom lived here and needed those things. It will be so if I ever need those accessories in my life.

My DS build a lift/elevator that works to raise a wheel chair up & down at the end of my front porch (or a standing person). It is easily motorized and was a huge assist when mom could no longer navigate steps. He's a framer/builder, so easy for him to do. Plus it looks less obvious than those long ramps. My house is 6 block high, needs a long one to go that route.

with all the mechanized chairs out there now, many could navigate pretty well with some planning. Heck, I see some in town rolling to the store with their heavy wheeled units.....little baskets on front.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Ah, I will get on to the profile now :) My mountain is probably more equivalent to a hill to you guys, but it does see snow on occasion!

I don't think I would get out of bed if I didn't have animals to care for, some days that is big enough of a challenge. Lol

Lazy Gardener

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Reynaud's disease? Would foam pipe insulation work for your bucket handles? I find that gloves do very little to protect my hands for any length of time. What I do find helpful is to wear an oversized coat, with LONG sleeves. I can then pull my gloved hand inside the sleeve, and use the sleeve as an extra layer of protection, kind of like a pot holder. I picked up a wind breaker at the Town Mall (otherwise known as the town dump). It is hugely oversized for me, has a hood, hangs down to my knees, and the sleeves go a good 6" past my hands. I find that this coat traps so much more body heat and holds it than any of my "winter jackets". It's my go-to for winter choring, but I must be selective, and not use it when it would place me at risk of getting tangled in the extra fabric.

It is wise to think ahead to the possibility of eventually living alone. While it seems morbid to harbor such thoughts, statistics state that MOST wives outlive their husbands.

Are you getting more pleasure from your farming life style than you would get comfort in living in a smaller home that entailed less maintenance? Is he tolerant of farming, or does he actually enjoy it?

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FIRM believer in staying active ! I climb more gates than I open...simply for the activity, balance, variance of movement in doing so.

You are right, Beekissed -- best to do all you can, as long as you can to keep muscles working. Unfortunately, there are some who cannot do so anymore. But do if you can!!

@Lazy Gardener, my tractor allows me to do some things that would take two people, saves me time for some jobs (mowing), allows me to dig ditches with attachments rather than a shovel :D, grade, lift, pull. Really, better than many hired hands. No backtalk.:old It was bought for many years of use. Still physical to switch out attachments, etc. I find more uses every week...small stuff, load the front loader with tools, buckets, feed, posts...take to location in one trip, lift to load from truck, etc. I use it to put my window AC in and out...set in front loader, drive to window, line up, lift...go slide it in. :clapNo need to wait on help.

Last edited: