HOMESTEADING AND PHYSICAL DISABILITIES

wyoDreamer

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hope you get better news today!
and yes, it seems easier to face a medical challenge when you can put a name to it. :hugs

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Just more testing. Lots of suspicions.

Need to find a way to destress

YourRabbitGirl

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
FIRM believer in staying active ! I climb more gates than I open...simply for the activity, balance, variance of movement in doing so.

You are right, Beekissed -- best to do all you can, as long as you can to keep muscles working. Unfortunately, there are some who cannot do so anymore. But do if you can!!

@Lazy Gardener, my tractor allows me to do some things that would take two people, saves me time for some jobs (mowing), allows me to dig ditches with attachments rather than a shovel :D, grade, lift, pull. Really, better than many hired hands. No backtalk.:old It was bought for many years of use. Still physical to switch out attachments, etc. I find more uses every week...small stuff, load the front loader with tools, buckets, feed, posts...take to location in one trip, lift to load from truck, etc. I use it to put my window AC in and out...set in front loader, drive to window, line up, lift...go slide it in. :clapNo need to wait on help.
makes me wonder, Is age really a factor for us getting weak? Sure our muscles decrease because of ageing but there is actually a lot of individuals that are stronger with age.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Age IS a factor. Muscles weaken, nutritional issues are there as our bodies do not make, absorb, use. Eating well, being aware, using what you have, stretching, moving etc. YES all there and mentally some feel they "are old" and act it.

For me, age is a number. I see things that you just can't stop from happening -- wrinkles!!!!!!! -- but, if I do not keep active, I can sure feel it. Sleep becomes more important and less obtainable.

If I did not look into a mirror, I'd swear I was at least 20 yrs younger than I am! Yet I daily see many who ARE 20 years younger and look and act older than me.

I am blessed to feel I can do, am healthy, am aware that I must continue to contribute to this body to stay that way. It's like no oil in your car engine -- it will stop working. Pay attention.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
There is something to the old saying "You are only as old as you feel." Staying active makes a huge difference, but I can attest to the fact that it's never too late to start. I unfortunately spent most of my youth and adulthood being very sedentary due to problems with my back. Finally learned some simple exercises from rehab that take care of the problem and started doing more, and I am more fit than I've ever been. Can't do as much as people that have been working hard all their lives, but much better than I ever was.
We also have a friend that is in his 90's that started doing Tai Chi several years ago, and he has said that he can do a lot more than he could before, and his balance is improved so he doesn't worry as much about falling. So- never too late.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I don't think aging is so much an issue as an accumulate of lifestyle stresses. If anyone is curious, look up Dave Asprey of Bulletproof. I think his books explain it best. I find him particularly interesting because he HAD very similar health problems to mine and he healed his. He has gone to extremes but recommends practical and low-cost interventions based on the same science in his books.

It's very clear that aging is accelerated by poor nutrition (and this is deep and nuanced, if you're following USDA guidelines that is poor nutrition!!), overeating, not enough sleep, low quality sleep, not enough exercise by most the population (but too much exercise for those who pursue fitness).

I suggest Dave Asprey because he is entertaining, but there are many other doctors and researchers approaching health from angles other than anti-aging that are coming to the same conclusions.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
most people have never learned some basics about their own bodies.

like do you know how the discs in your back work, how they get their nutrition, etc?

in the morning when you first get up they are the stiffest and this is when most people will injure themselves the worst when it comes down to back/disc problems. you need to warm up your back/discs so that they become more flexible before doing heavy lifting or a lot of bending.

the discs are nourished only by liquids going in and out, there are no blood vessels going in and out. so by moving you are nourishing them. when you stop moving they will get more stiff and soak up more liquid, but if you don't move then they won't get the nutrients they need. you have to move. we are not meant to sit still for long periods of time. gotta move. even if it hurts. be gentle but do some bends.

Tai Chi is a good way to help your balance. if you can learn the basics and then practice in various places (a beach is very good as you can vary your selection of sand and support) you will notice a huge difference in your sense of balance when you return to flat surfaces or indoor floors to practice.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I do qi gong on the beach. I am simply not strong enough for tai chi! I can do 2 movements but my ankles are too weak! (I burned my feet badly last year walking to the beach on bitumen and haven't completely recovered). Wading in the water and swimming are both really good for my injuries as well. Plus the added bonus of a magnesium boost! I love the beach, but don't get there as much as I would like lately.

I had great posture on horseback, never unplaced in a rider class, but now, unless I imagine I am show jumping, I cant bend correctly! Its like I have forgotten how to send that message from brain to body. Its slow to do stuff being aware of all of my movements though, so I get a lot less done when I am focused on pretending I'm on horseback all around the garden lol. I slack off on posture a lot just to get cleaning done, which isn't good but I haven't given up trying completely.