Honey for abcess on cat - thoughts?

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
<<Contains some grossness, stop reading now if you have a weak stomach>>

I am currently dealing with an abcessed anal gland on a cat. Yeah, it really is as fun as it sounds.:/

Over the weekend he was acting like he didn't feel good, didn't want to be touched, etc. We could tell it was his hind quarters, but since he is NOT very friendly (a former feral cat who was brought into the house - and I ended up inheriting) I didn't mess with him too much. On Sunday, DH was able to get ahold of him and I checked him out, thinking that since he is elderly he had injured a hip or leg jumping off something - but wanted to make sure he didn't have an abcess from fighting with the other cat. Didn't find anything until I touched his tail and he went nuts. I was able to see that there appeared to be blood or drainage on the underside of his tail. At that point I got on vinyl gloves, towels, etc. while DH got on thick leather gloves to hold him ;). Upon raising the tail, the blood/pus started to drain and I was able to determine that it was from his right anal gland. Much cat yowling, cursing (DH, not me), peeing (cat, not me) and pushing/prodding later, I was able to successfully drain all the pus and get the thick, waxy anal secretions out - it was all just coming out of the gland opening at this point. Surprising, the smell was not as bad as I had anticipated (based on how bad their glands smell when discharged normally). I cleaned the area good with alcohol and we put the cat in the laundry room. The next morning he was moving around, but not happy.

Last night, I wanted to check to make sure that it was not filling back up with pus, and discovered the cat had gotten the whole area opened up like a burst abcess. There was no visible puss or discharge at this point, it just looks like a raw wound. I checked with my vet (who was down with the flu) and he said normally they would flush it out and prescribe antibiotics. The fact is that, unless they are injectable, there is no way I am getting an antibiotic into this cat. I diluted some betadine (to tea color) and with DH holding the front half of the cat, me holding the hind legs and tail, my 9yo DD was able to flush the wound really well with a syringe. If it was in an area he couldn't reach, I would pack the abcess with bag balm and bandage (I have had really good success with abcess treament with way). I don't dare do that because it is an area he can lick and I have no way to bandage.

Finally to my question, what are your thoughts on packing it with raw honey? If he licks it off, it is not going to hurt him (may even sweeten him up a bit!). I would really like to get something in there that is going to take care of any deep infection and aid in healing. Any other suggestions for treatment? It will probably be close to two weeks before this thing closes itself up.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Cheryl

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
As you say he has opened up the abscess pretty well himself already, I would think that he can keep it clean himself. I know - *icky, germy cat mouth* - but it really is nature's way of tending things like this. Honey certainly wouldn't hurt, but I don't think he would let it stay there long enough to do much good. Now, if the abscess were deeper, and not already open, I'm not sure what I would suggest - especially as he is not a good patient.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
If you try it, I'd recommend monitoring his temperature daily for fever. If it doesn't work, there is risk he could become septic and die from infection. What is harder, taking a temp or giving meds? :lol:

Have you seen those long-handle pill poppers? They're under $5 and awesome for "naughties".

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh! This brings back memories of my DH and I trying to give medicine to our two very cranky cats. :hide I suppose using a big funnel-shaped collar on him would just make him madder?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Honey sounds like a good option. There are medicinal honeys that work better, but even a heavy sugar syrup will work in a pinch.

Is there anything you could put in the syrup that the cat wouldn't like the taste of?

Living the Simple Life

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Just an update. The cat seems to be keeping the wound clean :)sick There are no signs of pus at this point. I am planning to continue to flush with the betadine and use some raw honey tonight and then take it day by day. If the honey seems to be aiding with healing I will continue. If it starts showing signs of infection again I will have to re-evaluate.

Corn Woman

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can also try bentonite clay and goldenseal tincture mixed with water to make a paste the consistency of peanut butter to help draw out the infection?

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Living the Simple Life said:
Just an update. The cat seems to be keeping the wound clean :)sick There are no signs of pus at this point. I am planning to continue to flush with the betadine and use some raw honey tonight and then take it day by day. If the honey seems to be aiding with healing I will continue. If it starts showing signs of infection again I will have to re-evaluate.
Do let us know how it turns out!

Slinkytoys

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Some medicated powder from the pharmacy dusted on his wound may help as well. I think it used to be called BFI powder, ask at the pharmacy. It is easier to puff it on the site and shouldn't hurt him with his licking. Also, some plain Neosporin ointment could be used.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
How is your furbaby? I was thinking about him today when I saw a cat run across the road by the big farm down the road.. I'm hoping that since the icky is out that he has kept it clean and it is healing!! :fl