Honey sold in stores is NOT honey

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
http://realfoodblog.com/uncategorized/most-honey-sold-in-stores-isnt-honey/

I haven't bought honey in a store for over 15 years. I buy local honey from my vendor buddies at the farmers market. Taste is wonderful.

Did anyone know this? I figured it was filtered and changed for store brand processing, (as with anything) but I didn't know it was altered to a point of 'not being real honey'. And worse the imported honey that is 'handled who knows how'

I tell ya this is just another big advocate pushing me to forever buy less and less crappola in the store. Every time I read one of these types of articles, it pushes more and more from the food store aisles!

GROW YOUR OWN, Buy from local producers.

Theo

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I do "grow" my own honey. I filter it, but the ultra-filtration described in the article is a different process. The honey is the best I've ever tasted. Store honey just does not compare. Buy local honey--it's not very expensive and it is often excellent.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We buy local from the farmer's market as well, it's super delish :)

myzanya

Power Conserver
Reaction score
goodness...
that is alarming....
just bought some hunny today...
don't see it on the list..so will hope its ok...
all I know is is incredibly good...
I considered bees'''
but..we have visiting wildlife, and some bear visits this summer...
so adding the allure of honey...might not be good...
but am jealous of you all getting it at source

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
myzanya, a lot of the food information that is posted on this site refers only to the US--the rules are different in Canada :)

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Years ago I noticed the little honey packets at KFC said 'honey spread'. Right then I started wondering...looked like honey, tasted like honey, but...?? It's been forever since I have eaten at KFC, wonder if it's still like that.

Right now the only 'real' honey source we have is local and $7 for a little bottle. I can't afford to get it too often, but after hearing about this, I'll think twice about using the cheaper stuff in baking, ya know?

When I mentioned beekeeping to DH, he gave me 'the look'. I get 'the look' a lot.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
We have a local produce stand that sells local honey $7.99 for a quart jar. Think I better get some next week!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
"spread"

oh how I hate that word. :lol: I see that and KNOW it is not real. Always get my goat when we go out to the neighbors local place for breakfast. They give little tubs of "butter spread". What is that? LOL

I told him he needs little tubs of real butter

and after a long time would you believe we went in there and they are now using the little tubs of Land O Lakes butter on the table?

Funny thing is I wonder if the cost of the "spread" increased and he jumped over to real?

I don't know but I am glad he did!!!!

SD Farm Girl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I used to stock up on honey when Walgreen's had their half off sale. Then, my friend gave me two jars of 'real honey'. Funny how you'd never know what you're missing until you have the real thing. There is no comparison in taste, color, consistency, etc. It melts in your mouth and I found myself wanting to have toast everynight for dinner just for an excuse to have the honey. (It's just that good).

The real deal is more expensive, but everyone should try it at least once. I think the couple extra dollars you will pay for genuine honey is worth it and you won't get all the chemicals and additives.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My Grandma used to make something called homestead honey when they could not get real honey, but this is just unacceptable! This article is so frustrating and just adds to what should be America's discontentment with our food system. We eat as much local as possible but sometimes it is just not feasible.