honey

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i finaly found a place to buy honey raw and unprocesed. i have heard that honey does not spoil, but my sister is having a fit and says i cant store honey for long periods of time. how long is honey in the jar good for?

honey guarantee:
the honey in this jar has never been warmer than the temperature naturally occurring in the bee hive. it contains all the pollen, enzymes,propolis,and minerals existing in raw unprocessed northeastern wildflower honey and everything but the bees!

u.s. grade A honey

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
It keeps forever. They actually found it in tombs of Egyptian Pharaohs. It will crystalize after a long time but can be render again with heating. I suggest storing in glass jars in a dark cool area.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
If it crystallizes soak it in a pan of warm water till it melts the crystals and voila, honey again. DO NOT microwave it, because it kills the good stuff!

I was gonna open this thread and just say "Yes dear?" Nice title :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Or, you could have said, I'm home, or I shrunk the kids, or....:lol:

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was super tired, but BIL called once yesterday and again today for me to catch a swarm and was fixing on killing them, so I now have another small swarm. As if I didn't have enough work backed up. But alls well. Hope its a good little colony. I need to deal with my honey makers ASAP. And to answer your question....what they said..

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been eating honey that is 20+ years old from when my great grandfather had hives. It's perfectly fine. I use it for tea so I don't even bother uncrystallizing it as it melts in the hot tea.

the funny farm6

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
yes, i thought so. she is a prude. this is the sister who wont let her 2 boys and 2 girls go outside to play becouse they will get dirty! then gets mad cause they sit and play video games for hours on end then get aggrssive.

thanks everyone!

txcanoegirl

Power Conserver
Reaction score
According to the state extension websites I visited, honey has an INDEFINITE shelf live, as does sugar. Think about it...sugar is a preservative!

On a side note:

While looking for backup references to the indefinite shelf life of honey, I found also found this article http://www.foodsafetynews.com/2011/11/tests-show-most-store-honey-isnt-honey/ that discusses how filtered honey has the pollen removed. I've always tried to buy local honey, believing it was better for me to have honey made from local bees feeding on local plants. I pulled my jar of honey off the shelf to read the label, and it doesn't say "unfiltered." It's a local company, and I believe it is a small company. I only see their honey in a local grocery chain plus at our only only organic store. I looked them up on the web, but can't find a website. I think I'll call them tomorrow to ask if it is unfiltered. My husband used to keep bees way back before I even knew him. We hope to have them again in the near future.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I buy local honey, but don't know if it's filtered or not.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
the funny farm6 said:
i finaly found a place to buy honey raw and unprocesed. i have heard that honey does not spoil, but my sister is having a fit and says i cant store honey for long periods of time. how long is honey in the jar good for?

honey guarantee:
the honey in this jar has never been warmer than the temperature naturally occurring in the bee hive. it contains all the pollen, enzymes,propolis,and minerals existing in raw unprocessed northeastern wildflower honey and everything but the bees!

u.s. grade A honey
Unprocessed? Funny. bees usually place it in combs, not jars. To get nto jars the beekeeper usually decaps the cells of the comb and spins the honey out. Was the beeswax in the jar too?