Honeysuckle Blossoms!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Has anyone made essential oil or anything else from the blossoms? They grow wild here in my rv park! I could google it but would rather learn from someone who has done it. Thank you for any suggestions!

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Whoa! You just brought back some very old memories. When I was a little kid we used to gather Honeysuckle blossoms to chew on to get the sweet nectar. One time I took a large handfull of blossoms and sat down for who knows how long and picked each flower base off and put them into a tin can. Then some how I decided to put them into my Dad's vice in the garage. I squeezed and crushed the can until the nectar ran out. I had a palm full of honeysuckle nectar and it was SOOOOO fragrant and wonderful smelling that I smeared it all over my head. Silly kids do silly things. My entire body smelled like Honeysuckle blossoms for weeks. I couldn't wash the fragrance off!

Also I licked my hand (dirt and all) and it tasted wonderful. Several of my friends licked my hand too. Crazy kids.

Isn't it funny how something will trigger an old memory. I hadn't thought about that for at least 60 years.

Anyway, I'll bet you could make some great essential oil from Honeysuckle blossoms.

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Boogity said:
Whoa! You just brought back some very old memories. When I was a little kid we used to gather Honeysuckle blossoms to chew on to get the sweet nectar. One time I took a large handfull of blossoms and sat down for who knows how long and picked each flower base off and put them into a tin can. Then some how I decided to put them into my Dad's vice in the garage. I squeezed and crushed the can until the nectar ran out. I had a palm full of honeysuckle nectar and it was SOOOOO fragrant and wonderful smelling that I smeared it all over my head. Silly kids do silly things. My entire body smelled like Honeysuckle blossoms for weeks. I couldn't wash the fragrance off!

Also I licked my hand (dirt and all) and it tasted wonderful. Several of my friends licked my hand too. Crazy kids.

Isn't it funny how something will trigger an old memory. I hadn't thought about that for at least 60 years.

Anyway, I'll bet you could make some great essential oil from Honeysuckle blossoms.
Boogity! That sounds like I could make jelly from them!!! like rose petal jelly, etc! I'll look for that now! Thanks!

snapshot

Farmwife
Reaction score
Neko-chan said:
I forget where I saw it, but someone said you can flavor honey with honeysuckle I think. :)
I never heard of that but am ordering raw honey from vitacost soon. I'll google it. Thanks!!!!!