Hoop Houses for Turkeys and such

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
Did someone say HOOP HOUSES?

heck here are some pix of some GREAT hoop houses that Bourbon Red made. easy, fun, and a breeze to put together (assuming that you can ahem...make them square.. you know who you are).

cost of goods for all new materials was under $200 bucks (correct me if i'm wrong) and these were made using 16ft panels. these used 3 panels for the hoop part, then a couple more for the ends. just use whatcha got to frame in a door and...voila!... bob's your uncle...you got a hoop house. replace the tarp and voila!! a green house.. aint that slick?!

they are big and roomy and if you are short like me you can pretty much just walk around in them without bonkin' your head.

folks in the know would use deck screws and a man sized mitre saw to make the few 45* cuts.... but you can make these like this - nailed together and cut with some kinda namby-pamby smallish mitre saw that got no teeth, such as it was.

cool things i learned:
1. i have better tools than someone else
2. use zip ties to secure the panels side by side for additional support. 3. using standard size lumber, the hoop roof will be slightly longer than the base...which is great - you have a slight overhang -- thats the end for your door.
4. to make the hoop, secure one end of the panel loosely on the top of one of the rails with those big fence staples, then gently walk toward the base with the other end of the panel (panel hoop up to make the roof), have someone hold in place while you whack in the staples on that side. then go back and secure the staples on the first side.

these big ones can be moved with a tractor... just be sure to make the bottom rails (is that the right word??) skids by taking a notch out of them.. makes it easier to drag

here's the pix.. hey! is that my turkey hen!?!?!
;-)

657_hoop1.jpg

657_hoop2.jpg

657_hoop3.jpg

657_hoop4.jpg

657_hoop5.jpg

yay! great work, Bourbon Red!

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
hey BBH!

alls ya gotta do is hitch up them big dogs and make them drag it!
:)

happy friday!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Very nice! Now if someone would buy me a truck so I could actually get some cattle panels to my house...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
we built a hoop house - and I use it for a chick grow out pen. Doesn't look as neat as that one - ours is a finished after dark couldn't see what we were doing hoop house - and we missed a spot!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i'm seriously thinking about replacing my tractors with these. i love that the tractors are so portable, but i don't like that i can't get in there with the birds... my wee chickens that i hatched a few months ago don't want me to touch them cause they were raised in a tractor and think i'm just the food lady.

i like interacting with the birds, even the ones we eat.

ofg, do you know the dimensions of that one?

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
I think she is passed out in the goat stand...*quick, where's my camera?*

Mine is 20 x 10. I have a big door that swings up made out of the paneling for me. I also have a tiny door that also swings up for the chickens b/c they are free to roam about the backyard all day. I used 16 foot panels too.

Hope this helps. Mine is NOT as nice as ofg's btw.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
now now... i gots to give Bourbon Red credit where it is due. these are his hoop houses - I'M the one with the man sized tools.

hey BR - what were the dimensions?? 10x12???? i cant remember.....

Bourbon Red

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Yup - 10x12. Nailing them works just fine by the way - I can also hook a rope on the front and pull. them wherever I want to take them - although I am 6'6" and weigh 260 - so that helps...
Use 3 panels for the body - it hangs over about a foot in front (or in back - or 6" both ends - whatever. You can, of course, cut them off to fit - but I leave them on because you never know when you're going to need another full-size panel. Use whatever wire fencing you have around for the ends. Also - cut a strip of mesh fence and run that all along the inside to help keep the birds in/critters out.
You could probably grow a couple lambs in one of these too - maybe move it 2-3x a day dependin' on how much they're eatin', etc.
Close one end with another tarp for winter and stack straw bales around the inside a deep to keep the wind out.