Hoophouse greenhouse? Good idea or not?

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Actually, I was thinking of covering it with plastic and using it for only maybe 2 months or so, then the plastic comes of, gets stored, and the hoophouse raises some chicks. Or becomes the weaning shelter for the baby goats that will be flooding this place around May. Unless I can sell them all as bottle babies.... :/ But I would not leave it on year-round, at least not at this point. But I don't know if that is practical or not.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Actually, I was thinking of covering it with plastic and using it for only maybe 2 months or so, then the plastic comes of, gets stored, and the hoophouse raises some chicks. Or becomes the weaning shelter for the baby goats that will be flooding this place around May. Unless I can sell them all as bottle babies.... :/ But I would not leave it on year-round, at least not at this point. But I don't know if that is practical or not.
Only one way to find out....try it. We used 4 or 6 mil plastic for our greenhouse last year (from the hardware store) . It cost about $30 for just enough to cover one of those patio shade frames on all sides and the top. I did have plenty left on the bottoms. We covered the bottoms with bricks to prevent the whole thing from blowing away in the wind. This year I plan on doing a better job taping it together.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
You may be pleasantly surprised! A hoop house would be good (in your area of the country) for starting plants for your garden about 6-8 weeks before planting times. I would have it set up at least a week before you plan on planting, to give it a chance to warm the soil a bit. It should work pretty good for keeping the frost off the young seedlings. Make sure you tuck the edges of the plastic under some soil to keep drafts out. You might even be able to extend your growing season by a few weeks in the fall, depending on how early you get a hard frost or snow. Once it gets cold, all bets are off!

You don't EVEN wanna try to heat it in the conventional sense. Water jugs painted black, set around the inside, will provide a little more protection and heat, and will buy you a little more time to harvest things in the fall.
I'd try it and see how it works out! The most you can lose is a few seeds and a little time. You will also want to start your seedlings ON the ground, not IN it.. Don't build a table to set them on!

We had a nice sunshiny day today. My greenhouse hit a high of 80 degrees, and is STILL at 51 degrees, while the outside temp is down to 25 degrees. Soil temp in the front bed is just over 55 degrees. We are still harvesting fresh tomatoes and lettuce!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I have a sheet of plastic over a small raised bed and the edge is rimmed in 2 liter bottles filled with water. I planted chinese cabbage in it in October. We have had several deep freezes and they are still growing. Slowly, but there is growth. Plus I have a spinach plant leftover from summer in there and a volunteer cilantro plant. :D

Now the real test of my little hoop house is tomorrow night. It is going to get to 1 Thursday night. I may put a jug filled with hot water out there before I go to bed.

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Wifezilla........the temps aren't what is slowing the growth........shorter days(lack of sunlight) is what slows growth to a crawl.
Add a grow light on a timer, and watch the difference!!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Oh yeah...lower light is a big factor. I already have to run a cord out to the quail pen to keep their water from freezing. Hubby would freak if I added a plant light...LOL

I tasted a few chinese cabbage leaves and they were delicious. Very tender :D

I am willing to wait for them to grow on natural light. If I can keep the stuff alive tomorrow and Friday, they will start to pick up their growth very soon.

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had three 25 x 8 foot hoop greenhouses set up at one time. I used 20' lengths of one inch PVC for the frame.I made wooden frames with doors for the ends to stabilize them and used T fittings to install braces in the middle part. I paid about $300 for a 100 x 24 foot role of 3 year greenhouse plastic. It lasted 5 years before I finally took the houses down when we moved.

txhomegrown

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I found some pretty nice PVC projects that could be adapted and re-sized to fit just about any situation. This one is unfinished, but gives you an idea how to do it.

PVCCage1.jpg

There are several more on this page.

http://flexpvc.com/projects.shtml

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
I love the idea of a multi-purpose house frame! I don't see why it wouldn't work as a greenhouse to start warming up the soil (or even melt the snow to start getting down to soil) to jump start the season. I have been thinking about something like that, but probably won't have time to actually do it. This year.

colowyo0809

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score