Hope for the Future?

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The other day I was driving with a few friends for a weekend "mommy-trip." On our trip there was an area of farmland that had numerous wind turbines. I was super-excited to see these, as they are fairly new and the amount and sheer size of them was breathtaking. A friend in the car chirped "What are those?" I said "Wind turbines that are used for energy" she said "What do you mean?" :duc

Then the next day the same friend overheard a morning show stating that "Homegrown food tastes much better than store bought." She made a quick comment of "Yeah right" I asked her that had she ever had a homegrown tomato. And had to explain that tomatoes at the store are often picked from "far off lands," are green and hard. By the time they get to her plate, they are taste-less and "gassed" to produce that red color. She was shocked and had no idea :old

I know that I may be more invested in this whole self-sustainable, green, whatever you want to call it lifestyle. But you have go to be kidding me...We live in a metro-area and have known eachother since we were in grade school. And all of this was new to her?

:barnie Ugh sometimes I wonder if there is any hope for this planet...

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I get down about it too sometimes.
There is always hope!:hugs
The fact that we're having this conversation means there is hope.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am amazed at people's responses to our lifestyle, they think we are from another planet.
I know I have said this before but we had a sleepover and the child asked why would we eat the eggs our chickens layed they were not real eggs, those are made at the grocery store I was shocked (this was not a young child) :he
Keep sharing and hopefully they will learn from your knowledge and example!

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I'm always amazed at how many people aren't even aware of their food sources....not to mention the condition of those sources (factory franken foods).

But what is even more shocking are those that do know but won't do anything about it :th

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Augustmomx2 said:
I know that I may be more invested in this whole self-sustainable, green, whatever you want to call it lifestyle. But you have go to be kidding me...We live in a metro-area and have known each other since we were in grade school. And all of this was new to her?
it's the same story with my sister and i (and even my brother to a certain extent). both grew up with the same parents, on the same farm, going to the same schools... and we turned out so completely different. she hates almost all veggies, never turns down a steak, thinks that all food is the same regardless of growing/living conditions, and has absolutely no interest in my attempts at raising/growing my own. i, on the otherhand, LOVE veggies, won't eat meat unless i know the person who raised it, and spend ALL my time trying to learn more about how to do this stuff right.

she ate my eggs for the first time yesterday and said she couldn't taste a difference :smack - because she drowns them in salt and pepper. i showed her how the yolk sits up on the white and how the color was different and she said they just looked like eggs to her. :th

my mom is always commenting on how she can't figure out how three children from the same home could be so completely different...

tamlynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just keep on doing what you're doing. You'll help educate the population. My personal mission is to inform people that hens can lay eggs without the help of a rooster.

Occamstazer

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh Tam, me too!
I had a horribly awkward conversation at a very fancy restaurant recently. Someone was telling the table about my chickens (not me, I don't enjoy being a sideshow) and they mentioned that you don't need a rooster to get eggs.
One of my grandmother's ditzy friends was baffled by this and would not let it go. I gave the usual, "well what are any male animals for?" when she demanded to know why there are roosters but that wouldn't do. And this woman has kids, a lot of them.
I finally just changed the subject because I was not going to discuss ovulation and fertility with a table full of bridge-playin' high society types. :he

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
People learn what they want to learn
If they have no interest and live their life exactly how they want, sometimes this info isn't in their lives and they have no desired to attain it either

but strange an adult won't know what a wind turbine is truly
and strange someone would say that a fresh tomatoe right off the vine isn't better than one that is shipped and sits in a store

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
tamlynn said:
Just keep on doing what you're doing. You'll help educate the population. My personal mission is to inform people that hens can lay eggs without the help of a rooster.
I get the very same question from some of my "city" customers.

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
People learn what they want to learn
If they have no interest and live their life exactly how they want, sometimes this info isn't in their lives and they have no desired to attain it either

but strange an adult won't know what a wind turbine is truly
and strange someone would say that a fresh tomatoe right off the vine isn't better than one that is shipped and sits in a store
hey FC! good to see you.

golly with your farm market customers i bet you hear all kinds of crazy things... whats the funniest?

i generally get the opposite. folks know we have roosters and they wont eat the eggs cuz they got chickens in them. sheesh!

it did set me back a bit tho, when one of my best pals called me up and said "ohmigosh did you see that thing about Food Inc!!??! isnt that horrible! did you know all that!?!'.... yep... yep i did....

and yep Occam... side show for sure!

;-)