Hope's Homestead

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So i guess its tume for this crazy list!!

1. What state/province/country are you in and what is your climate like?
North Florida hot and humid. I am originally from the Florida keys, I was born and raised there. But its no place to raise your kids, except the ocean. I wish my girls could grow up the way we did on the same ocean.

2. How many people are in your family? Marital status?
Married to my amazing partner in crime! We have 2 amazingly beautiful/crazy little girls. And my FIL lives on our property with us.

3. How would you define self sufficiency?
Living the way god intended us to.

4. What would you do with your spare time if you had any resources you needed?
Build our house.

5. Have you ever built a house , or other types of building? Do you want to?
Haha ^ no. My husband can and has build attached rooms and such. Sheds and what not. But no house yet. In the furture!

6. Can you weld? Steel, aluminum, MiG, TiG, stick, Oxy-Acet?
Yes. Aluminum. My husband and i own an Airboat shop. I believe he can weld it all.

7. Who or what inspired you to become more self sufficient?
My Girls. And all this crap that is in the food.

8. Cloth or paper?
Both

9. In what ways are you self sufficient now and in what ways would you like to learn more?
We dont buy meat we hunt for ours or we get paid in meat(Airboat shop, so any fabrication work for our neighbors they give us some meat)I will hopefully have my garden back up and running before spring :fl. And i would like to learn in all ways we can!

10. In what way(s) will you never choose to become self sufficient?
I agree with alot of people, my family will always come first, that is why we are trying to stay as healthy as we can for them. But if for some reason we couldnt do it, it would only be for them....but i dont think somthing would stop us from living the way we are supposed to.

11. Are you interested in stocking up for future needs?
Oh course! I hope to have canned goods and such to help us through whatever we come across in the future.

12. Where do you end up when you sink into yourself, away from the outside world?
In the ocean or mountains (i will always be a keys girl, but my lungs call gor the fresh air in the mountains)

13. Can you drive a farm tractor or a semi?
Yes

14. Do you make crafts or useful items? Would you want to teach others how to do these?
Yes, sometimes.

15. Can you have legally livestock where you are at? Do you have any? What kinds?
Yes at the moment of chickens, ducks gunieas and quail. Hopefully next year or the following we will have goats and pigs and all that to feed our family.

16. Can you operate a lathe? Metal, wood?
Yes, but thats my husbands department ;)i help where i can!

17. Do you like to garden? If so, what do you enjoy growing?
I love to garden! When we lived in Oklahoma for 4 years i had a 40x30 garden! Love love fresh veggies!

18. Do you fish? Bait or explosives?
I am a keys girl of course i love to fish! I have always wanted to use explosives;) be we try to stick with mostly bait!

19. How much space/land do you have or rent? City? Country?
We own 40 acres in North Florida

20. Are you a Novice, Technician, General, Advanced? ARRL?
........no

21. What is your self sufficient specialty? Or what one would you like to learn?
Gardening, hunting and Tending and raising the Animals. I want to learn how to make everything for us and only have to buy the things we can not make.

22. If you could create a degree and curriculum, what would you major in and what classes would you take?
Anything that will help me get our family where we need to be.

23. Do you do wood work? framing, finish, cabinet?
No, but im sure if i tried i could!

24. Are you interested in herbal medicine?
Yes thats why these plant are here. For us to use, not all the man made crap!

25. If you could live any place you chose, where would it be?
I love our 40acres, i would love to own my own Island:)lol:) but that would never happen!! And i enjoy hunting too much so it would have to be a huge island. I live Alaska too! We have toyed with moving there or Arkansas.
26. Do you use a wood stove for heating or cooking?
Ah man i wish!

27. What would your ideal super hero/villain be?
Oh boy, i can choose just one!!

28. Are your family or friends also interested in self sufficiency?
Yes, my husband is all for it. FIL says he is but i dont think he could live without Coke a cola and junk food :sick

29. Do you like to cook? Are you interested in whole foods and natural foods? raw milk? farm fresh eggs?

I do like to cook! Im no chief but enjpy it, and yes im itrested in cooking with anything that is healthy for us.

30. What was your MOS?
N/A

31. Do you forage or hunt for part of your food needs?
We try to the best we can!

32. What skills do you have that help you be more self sufficient?
I guess your mind set. Most people let their mind stop them.

33. In which fictional universe would you most like to live?
....i enjoy the universe i am in lol

34. Do you have solar panels? Plans to use solar energy?
Not yet. We hope to in the future

35 What is the mass/weight ratio of a European swallow carrying a coconut from the tropics to England?
Haha no freaking clue. Didnt watch that movie.

36. Have you ever lived completely off grid? Would you like to?
No, not completely. And yes we would love too!

37. In what do you trust?
God & Family.

38. Do you make things yourself to save money?
All the time.

39. Has trying to be more self-sufficient changed your attitude or habits about money/spending?
Yes!

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks everyone... hopefully i will get to start showing the prosses on my garden and the facelift to our yard here! Just gotta get going doing it lol

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have only pulled the trees out :(...qnd they are still down where they were pulled.....:confused: hopefully more progress this week coming up... i did this untill i am able to make the fenced chicken run to keep the chickens off my plants and my puppy(big freaking doberman) from eating everything!
20181006_163704.jpg
20181006_192050.jpg

I guess it will have to doooo for now.....

Hope Hughes

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
20181015_204506.jpg
20181015_204509.jpg

Added some new lights, these ones were way brighter then the regular christmas sting lights. My momma always hooks me up! Lol we also have 5 tiki torches around the table. We were able to eat our carnitas outside last night! Cant wait to keep making the feont and back yard look amazing! Little by little, step y step! <all i can think of is that 80s song :lol: