Hormone balancing herbs or something similar?

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I have bi-polar, but when they tried medications on me, none of them really seemed to work. Now, I'm interested in using a natural remedy. I know that St. John's Wort is supposed to be a "mood enhancer", but it's listed for depression, nothing says anything about bi-polar, so I'm worried about taking it and being bounced too high on the mood scale. Are there any herbs out there (besides marjiuana, which is actually a natural remedy for bi-polar, but for obvious reasons, this won't work!) that will help with bi-polar?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
Based on my knowledge of bipolar disorder, I think this question is something that would probably be best addressed by a medical professional, whichever type of medicine (Western, alternative) you prefer. I think you are asking us to treat something online, basically, but bipolar is so much more complex and serious than something else a person might try to help treat online, like warts.

I don't want to offend at all and really hope you find help. I just think this forum may not be the best place to find it...

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Nah, no offense taken. I just wasn't sure if anyone knew of any mood balancing herbs/remedies. The doctors have already run me through their courses, poked and bled me out and haven't been able to "fix" me, so I was hoping that there might be other options to bring up and try.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I work with licensed health professionals, setting up wellness programs in their practices. Although I don't work directly with any psychiatrists, I had the opportunity to have lunch with a bunch (at a course I took) who use my company's products, and got the chance to ask a lot of questions about how they use our wellness programs in their practices.

Number one is to get the patients into a general wellness program, focusing on a healthy lifestyle including an LGI eating program (think a couple pounds of lgi veggies per day, no processed foods of any kind, plenty of fresh, whole foods) and an exercise program. Basic supplementation is critical, focusing on general wellness, but specifically on brain and central nervous system health.

E-mail me if you want the specific regimen. This is not about getting off meds, but about helping your body utilize them more efficiently and to be able to use less, yet have it work.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Natural remedies alone are often not enough but there are things you can do to help your brain.

First, make sure you have getting enough vitamin D. If you are in a northern area, work indoors or avoid the sun, you are most likely very deficient. Have your doctor check your blood levels. Liquid drops are a good way to get your levels up. Carlson's makes liquid D3 drops. A woman generally needs 5000 IU/day, and men 6000 IU.

Second, start taking fish oil supplements. Fish oil really helps the brain as well as many other good things (reduces inflammation, prevents heart disease, reduces joint pain, etc...).

Third, eliminate refined foods from your diet. A diet high in sugars, flours, rice, potatoes, corn, etc... messes with your hormones, causes blood sugar spikes, insulin spikes. etc. Also, if you do end up taking medication, some can cause weight gain. A diet low in carbohydrates can offset that potential side effect.

Fourth, look in to incorporating coconut oil in to your diet. This is another "brain healthy" fat.

The measures I listed are NOT a substitute for good psychiatric care, but can put you in a better position to be helped by proper medication. I know you said none worked, but what did you try? There are so many different medications and med combos, I wonder if you actually gave any of them a fair shake.

xineohpoel

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thyme, Anasazi Bean, Grapefruit, Orange, Lettuce, and Cabbage all contain small amounts of lithium.

Kava Kava, Thyme, Taurine Tyrosine are calming and soothing.

Vitamin B group calms the nerves.

This is advice from an herbalist in one of my groups. What you do is up to you.

I say practice meditation. It may help a little.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Bettacreek,

I think that all that has been said so far are excellent recommendations... and especially what wifezilla recommended.
You can promote a healthy brain by advancing your nutritional status and giving it all the minerals and vitamins that it needs. If there has been a shortage in something it often takes mega doses to compensate and to redevelop balance takes time, over a period of 6 months frequently, sometimes longer.

I suggest that you do a lithium supplement search and start reading on how lithium may be of help. Lithium is sometimes used by alternative health practitioners for bi-polar. If you think that lithium may be a possibility find an alternative health practitioner to help you, a licensed one, and ND or an NMD as they are sometime called or an MD who is devoted to alternative therapy, they are out there.

I would also get a complete hormone study done with someone who knows how to use bio-identical hormones, if it should be needed.

If you decide to try lithium you should read this article as lithium is known for some side effects:
http://bastyrcenter.org/content/view/445/

I would also most seriously look into getting homeopathic treatment. Homeopathy, as I have seen directly, has improved a number of mental health issues from post partum depression, suicidal thoughts, paranoia, obsessive compulsive disorder, anxiety, insomnia, anger management.

Latest posts