Horse Remedies Please Share...

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Oh, and the Listerine/water spray was great for itchy tails. Although most tail rubbing is due to dirty sheaths, udders, under the tail, or sand and dirt stuck between close-set thighs. And ticks in the dock. If all those areas are clean, a good soaking of the dock with diluted Listerine helps.

A bucket of warm water with a couple of glugs of ACV is great as a final rinse after a bath, after thoroughly rinsing with plain water, sponge the ACV mixture over the coat and leave in, just sweat-scrape. It really helps with the ultra-sensitive ones who get hives with the slightest bit of soap left in the coat. Gets all the soap residue out.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
And another tip: Know how to take your horse's vital signs, pulse, temperature and respiration. Have someone show you, and practice. Know what is normal for your horse by taking the vitals at various times of the day and record it. I found that there were some myths out there when I managed an Arabian farm.....they do not have a slightly higher normal temp, as the myth used to be (maybe still is, not involved in the industry anymore.)

I found that most of the healthy, fit horses had resting temps of 99. Young horses were slightly higher, but only for a short time, maybe a year for some.

Always tie a ribbon to your thermometer.....a ribbon allows you to still put the thermometer in it's case and then you can wrap the ribbon around the case. Hold the ribbon or clip it to the tail. Holding it will save you broken thermometers, though.

Knowing how to take the vitals and what is normal for each horse will give more accurate info to the vet when you call in an emergency. Always have this info when you call, unless, of course, your horse is injured badly rather than sick. The vitals tell your vet how fast he/she needs to get there, too, and whether you need to administer emergency first aid before they arrive.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
lupinfarm said:
Anyone got a remedy for a horse that hates the living hell out of the fly spray bottle? Luna is being driven nuts by blackfly and flies out in the field and though she wears a fly mask I can't get fly spray on her. I was considering wetting down a cloth with it but she doesn't seem to enjoy the smell too much either.
Call me a meany, but I only use fly spray when i work thehorses. Always start at the feet, and slowly work your way up. If it is the spray, try the cloths., or spraying a cloth. If she is still fussing, cross-tie her when you put it on. And then treat her. My QH is not a big fan of fly spray either, but when you gotta do it, you gotta do it. also try diferent brands, and see if she responds differently. i am also not a big fan of fly masks either, as I have seen flies get caught on the inside of the masks-not a pleasant experience.
Yeah I've seen them get caught in the mask too but she could barely stand still long enough to eat before and now she's having an easier time. I think its mostly the blackflies that bother her and I feel so bad for her! ... I have a natural citronella based fly spray that WORKS but its getting it on her!

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
If you soak the edges of the mask in fly spray, and spray the ear part of the mask, it helps a LOT with the bug-in-the-mask issue. And repair even the smallest rips. Put plenty of spray on the horses jaw area, where the flies get under the mask.