Hot Packs

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I second (third... fourth... whatever!) the rice hot packs. They stay hot for a long time. We also use them in the winter for foot warmers and they are almost always still warm when morning comes.

A quick & easy cold pack is to take 2 zip bags. Fill one almost full with a 50/50 mix of rubbing alcohol & water, you want it to have some wiggle room. Slip it into the second baggie, zipper down. This provides backup for any leaks. Freeze it. It will not freeze completely, but turn to a cold mush that molds to you.

You will want to wrap the bags in something to protect your skin from the cold as these get REALLY cold.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Abi, my answer was for the vast majority of people. You, of course, are the exception...... as usual.....:rolleyes:

:lol:
ROFL!! love you too :D

"that answer was for the humans. abi, disregard"

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
NurseNettie said:
The hot and cold rules don't really apply much anymore. Most docs tell you to go with what feels good, regardless of the fact that ice reduces inflammation in acute injuries. Ice often causes pain that's intolerable, and anti-inflammatory meds can reduce swelling as well. Heat will increase blood flow, and speed healing in any injuries. Several of the doctors I've worked with will tell you outright- the ice rarely feels good, and will often cause pain because the inflamed areas include the nerves, which are very sensitive to cold.
I agree and docs and physical therapists have told me the same. I always prefer heat.... unless its for a black eye or facial injury.

If the skin is closed I really love Dr Christophers Cayenne Heat Rub. Then put a warm (not hot) pack on top of it for about as long as you can take it. Increased circulation makes most sense to me most of the time

fl_deb

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
For those who can't take the cold. try alternating cold heat cpld heat but you need to end in cold to eliminate the inflamation.

Valmom- you should really press your doctor on what is happenning esp. if this is becomming more frequent- unfortunately for women some of our favorite things are often at fault.....

our shoes- high heels are the absolute worst ; when we stop wearing them as often symptoms often appear

our purses - slung over the same shoulder day in and day out when weighed often exceed 10 pounds

or baby/children on same hip, then pulling our legs and arms etc

another is a major change in daily body mechanics i.e. standing to sitting type job or vice versa

hope this helps you find lasting relief

Deb

Lynne

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Cherry pits are the best for holding heat and they smell nice when heated.
93a1ca_7df4676008944a2f85bf64955e750dbc~mv2_d_1887_1953_s_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: