Hot Weather lettuce (PIX)

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think I have found a type of lettuce that will grow and not bolt when the temps reach
the 90's ane 100's!

In the early spring I threw some lettuce seeds I had gathered a couple of years ago.
They were hanging in a grocery bag in the storage/laundry room. I wan't sure they
were any good, so I just threw them out there, and if they grew they grew, and if
they didn't no big deal

Well, I think the seeds pretty much all gerninated! I have lettuce all over the place
in my front garden beds! And it is still producing nice sweet lettuce! And we have
hit 100 in the past couple of weeks! I hope to get some seed from these plants.

They are a deeply lobed leaf lettuce, I don't know the name of it. But it is growing
very nicely!

4262012Lettuce02email.jpg

Andy J

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
That looks like oak leaf lettuce to me.I grow it myself for that very reason.If you plant it in the fall in my area,it will overwinter and will begin to bolt in late April.My spring planted crop is doing well,even with temperatures near 90 degrees.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Andy J said:
That looks like oak leaf lettuce to me.I grow it myself for that very reason.If you plant it in the fall in my area,it will overwinter and will begin to bolt in late April.My spring planted crop is doing well,even with temperatures near 90 degrees.
Yes, from my looking on the web, that is the kind it looks like. I am very pleased with it!

barefootfarmer

Power Conserver
Reaction score

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
barefootfarmer said:
Where are you located? I moved to Texas last year and this is my first time gardening in this heat. Do you have any other tips for hot weather gardening?
I live in Tucson, AZ. Our summers are brutal here! Most things need protection from the direct sun in the afternoon. One thing I have found really helps is to use Scott's Miracle Grow Moisture Control Potting Soil. I use it in the garden, not just in pots. I do a modified form of Square Foot Gardening.

The native soil here is so alkaline, that if you put vinegar on it, it fizzes! Growing things in rasied beds and pots that can be moved as the weather changes is about the only way to grow other than native plants.

Our vegetable growing season is better in the winter than in the summer. From Early May to Late September, our temps are traditionally 100 degrees or more. And our humidity is very low, so keeping moisture in the soil is a real battle. Once plants are about 6 inces high, I put down wheat straw as a mulch. That helps a bit in keeping the soil cooler and slows down evaporation.

Detlor Poultry

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello, Rebbetzin! Remember me? Alot of you TEG-ers are showing up on here, too. I've already seen Marshall, Steve, and TMC here. (and of course Nifty)

We don't have near as hot summers as you do (welcome to canada, eh?). 90-100F? You could hatch eggs in weather like that! Our lettuce did good last year for not bolting. Our temperaures only reach 20-30C in the summer. Don't ask me to translate that to F. Glad you found a non-bolting variety.

Rebbetzin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Detlor Poultry said:
Hello, Rebbetzin! Remember me? Alot of you TEG-ers are showing up on here, too. I've already seen Marshall, Steve, and TMC here. (and of course Nifty)

We don't have near as hot summers as you do (welcome to canada, eh?). 90-100F? You could hatch eggs in weather like that! Our lettuce did good last year for not bolting. Our temperaures only reach 20-30C in the summer. Don't ask me to translate that to F. Glad you found a non-bolting variety.
Many of us do seem to "cross over" to the other forums. Since I am on dial up, I have a long download time on the new BYC site.
I do so love all the people on these forums! They are a great bunch of folks from all over the globe!

One of our best friends is here on a work visa from Hamilton, Canada. I LOVE Canada, it is so pretty up there! I have been up the ALCAN Highway a few times and really loved it! All the people were so friendly up there, must be the cooler weather!