How about a SHOP section on the forum?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
enough to survive without going overboard is a good thing :)

I remember Nanny telling this and that, what her mom did in 'her days' and more and to this day I can't remember almost any of it yet I know there was old ways that were great yet forgotten. My Mom talking about how Grandma cooked for them, made a good life on very little. And then forgetting. truly. it is sad but now I realize I need to hang onto some of this info.

while the net and people and word of mouth is great, heck nowadays I gotta write it down lol
their parents and their parents lived it. it was common info. but us in this age, if we have to go back, keep some smart old timey info on hand.
That's why a forum like this is good. We have a wide range of ages, so things that the young ones' great grandparents did are the things that some of the older ones can remember from their own childhood. I know I am old enough to be grandmother to some of the members here. I can't say I know it all, or even most, but there are certainly things that were *normal* when I was younger that nobody thinks about today. For example, awhile ago, on another thread, someone asked "what did they use before there were digital scales?". I had to laugh, but then realized that, for a young person, that is a perfectly valid question.

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ORChick said:
I know I am old enough to be grandmother to some of the members here. I can't say I know it all, or even most, but there are certainly things that were *normal* when I was younger that nobody thinks about today. For example, awhile ago, on another thread, someone asked "what did they use before there were digital scales?". I had to laugh, but then realized that, for a young person, that is a perfectly valid question.
Oh, yeah. I'm not a grandparent, but I know what you mean.

For some people 30 years old or younger, the question seems to be "what did people do before they went out and bought another one?" (Fill in the blank about what that replacement "other one" might be.) :lol:

Getting more use out of things and not just throwing them away is one reason shop tools & know-how are good.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
disposable society mentality. I don't want that. I am always searching for the other.

I had my daugher at age 43. Believe me I heard "your granddaughter is so cute' and then I say 'I am the Mom' and apolgies come but I don't mind one bit. I truly understand them thinking that.

But :)smack to hubby cause he never gets that and he just grins and grinds it into me when someone says that)--eh, I give it to him. Sometimes he gets so little :plbb

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:lol: You could always tell him the line that I give to DH occasionally.......you never mess with the one who fixes your food. :lol:

OR
When I was really hacked off at him.......you have to sleep sometime, and I do have super glue.

GREAT link, moolie! It's been quite a while since I have been to that site.

whaTType

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
2dream said:
I love the idea. I know somewhere here is a lesson on how to sharpen knives. That would be great in a SHOP section. Along with how to repair/sharpen/ shovels, and other great stuff, and it would make it easier to find.
I like the idea as well. but i wish some development.:)

Joel_BC

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
whaTType said:
2dream said:
I love the idea. I know somewhere here is a lesson on how to sharpen knives. That would be great in a SHOP section. Along with how to repair/sharpen/ shovels, and other great stuff, and it would make it easier to find.
I like the idea as well. but i wish some development.:)
I'm a little unclear on your comment, whaTType. I think you are saying you'd like to see a thread about how to sharpen knives & how to repair/sharpen shovels. Is this correct?

Or were you posting in support of the original idea (in post #1 on this thread), which was to establish the Shop frorum? (Which, as you may or may know know, actually did happen some months ago.)

What did you mean by: "but I wish some development" ??

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Joel_BC said:
ORChick said:
I know I am old enough to be grandmother to some of the members here. I can't say I know it all, or even most, but there are certainly things that were *normal* when I was younger that nobody thinks about today. For example, awhile ago, on another thread, someone asked "what did they use before there were digital scales?". I had to laugh, but then realized that, for a young person, that is a perfectly valid question.
Oh, yeah. I'm not a grandparent, but I know what you mean.

For some people 30 years old or younger, the question seems to be "what did people do before they went out and bought another one?"
We did something the "20-somethings" never heard of...it was called "we fixed it" and got back to work.
Now things are made so they can't be fixed or at least not easily because the materials are so poor in quality, they are made of plastic that can't be glued or the item with which it is held together can't be repaired or replaced.

You just happened to pick one of my most annoying pet peeves...buying things that can't be repaired! Grrrrrrrr! :somad :somad :somad :somad :tongue