How about this???

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
mrbstephens said:
What about it being next to a salvage yard? Do you think the ground water would be contaminated?
Oh shoot, yes!! If it's not now, it will be. Okay, I have visions of oil and gasoline leaks from vehicles....

And that's cheap? holy cow....

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Salvage yards typically are rat farms.

Not trying to be overly-negative -- the thing is, if you have "champagne tastes beer budget" issues, and we certainly went thru that when WE were looking for property :p, you WILL have to compromise on some significant things.

Just pointing things out for consideration.

Pat

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Marianne said:
mrbstephens said:
What about it being next to a salvage yard? Do you think the ground water would be contaminated?
Oh shoot, yes!! If it's not now, it will be. Okay, I have visions of oil and gasoline leaks from vehicles....

And that's cheap? holy cow....
It's such a shame because the house backs to miles and miles of nature preserve!

And yes, it's super cheap in our neck of the woods. My house is on the market for $399,000. It's a 3 bedroom ranch on shy half acre and that's a reasonable price! You should see our taxes!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
patandchickens said:
Salvage yards typically are rat farms.

Not trying to be overly-negative -- the thing is, if you have "champagne tastes beer budget" issues, and we certainly went thru that when WE were looking for property :p, you WILL have to compromise on some significant things.

Just pointing things out for consideration.

Pat
Well, I'd like to grow organic veggies and fruit and that may very well be compromised by the salvage yard next door. Such a shame!

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
My horoscope today;

You don't trust yourself today. Your eye is drawn to a new home, or to home-improvement projects that may actually be very good investments, but because you are uncertain you may miss an opportunity. This is one time when your impulses and intuition are on target - trust yourself for a change.

:/

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
It's beautiful. If you are serious, get an appraisal or two, have the soil tested and the water. If the property is 4 acres, how close to the house is the salvage yard? The results of the appraisals tests will give you what you need to know, and if your still oka witht he results, you can use them as leverage for price negotiations.

hillfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'd want soil samples, air quality, mold testing etc. I grew up with a salvage yard behind us. Never had any problems with our well water, we had a salt purifier and the water was naturally heavey sulfer. We had teeth like rocks but man you stunk after a bath. rotten egg water is the worst. But the salvage yard had nothing to do with that.
I also ate from our garden and never had any health problems. We raised animals etc.
I wouldnt think the oils would be a real issue unless you have run off from it. My parents planted bamboo so things were blocked visually and audioly.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
hillfarm said:
I'd want soil samples, air quality, mold testing etc. I grew up with a salvage yard behind us. Never had any problems with our well water, we had a salt purifier and the water was naturally heavey sulfer. We had teeth like rocks but man you stunk after a bath. rotten egg water is the worst. But the salvage yard had nothing to do with that.
I also ate from our garden and never had any health problems. We raised animals etc.
I wouldnt think the oils would be a real issue unless you have run off from it. My parents planted bamboo so things were blocked visually and audioly.
This is good to know. I did some research about the water quality. There was a gas leak 14 years ago from a gas station about 1/4 mile away. Traces of contamination was found in the well water in the neighborhood, but this is down hill from the house. I'm also thinking it's possible to connect to city water. I know some of the residents do get city water so I could look into this.
The salvage yard is just barely visible from the property. The property is on an aquifer as well and there is a swamp south of it. This would probably explain why the basement was so damp! Yes, bamboo would work great, but because it's protected land, there are restrictions on land clearing etc. I think bamboo would get me into trouble. I could, however, plant pine trees.....it is the Pine barrens after all! I'm calling town hall for more info today.

mrbstephens

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
miss_thenorth said:
It's beautiful. If you are serious, get an appraisal or two, have the soil tested and the water. If the property is 4 acres, how close to the house is the salvage yard? The results of the appraisals tests will give you what you need to know, and if your still oka witht he results, you can use them as leverage for price negotiations.
The salvage yard is about 250 feet from the house. There really isn't any negotiating on the price because it's a short sale.

Latest posts