How are the gas prices in your area?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I haven't left the house in a day or two to see what the prices are now, but I'm sure they're in the 3.80's by now. I know it's cheaper than alot of places, but it still sucks.

I remember the last surge in prices a couple of years ago, the oil companies admitted to making huge profits & could still profit at much lower prices. Not long after that statement, the prices dropped. So if we're not getting our oil from the Middle East and we have tons in reserve, WHY ARE WE STILL BEING GOUGED???

(I don't know why I asked that question, when I know full well the answer...$$$$$ :rolleyes: )

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This may sound like I'm defending oil co. and high gas prices, but I"M NOT!!!

However...

per http://www.taxfoundation.org/publications/show/1168.html

over the past 25 years, oil companies directly paid or remitted more than $2.2 trillion in taxes, after adjusting for inflation, to federal and state governmentsincluding excise taxes, royalty payments and state and federal corporate income taxes. That amounts to more than three times what they earned in profits during the same period,

JMHO, But who's gouging who???

mlynd

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
3.85 I just got a gallon to use the tractor guess i wont be mowing the yard this yr:rolleyes:

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
popcorn chicken said:

However...

over the past 25 years, oil companies directly paid or remitted more than $2.2 trillion in taxes, after adjusting for inflation, to federal and state governmentsincluding excise taxes, royalty payments and state and federal corporate income taxes. That amounts to more than three times what they earned in profits during the same period,

No offense, but I don't feel one bit sorry for them. And I always thought "profit" referred to what was left AFTER paying your bills. :idunno

CrownofThorns

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About $4.10 here. You would think it would be cheaper with a refinery just a few miles away as the crow flys but nope. Silly government has us buying gas from the lower 48. Um Hello?

The Old Ram-Australia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
G'day, OH, for your cheap petrol prices!.............yesterday it was $1.50 a LITRE,or $6.00 a gallon......Now thats "expensive".

.................................T.O.R.................................

popcorn chicken

Power Conserver
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
popcorn chicken said:

However...

No offense, but I don't feel one bit sorry for them. And I always thought "profit" referred to what was left AFTER paying your bills. :idunno
No offense taken!! :frow Thanks for asking tho!!!

Again, it's gonna sound like I'm defending them, I'M NOT!!, but at least the oil companies have to take a risk, and go looking/exploring for oil. The Gov. just swoops in and TAKES what they want, charges all kinds of fees and has nothing at risk. Washington just likes to point out that Big Bad Oil Co's are making all this money and how bad they are, but then turn around and make TRILLIONS off of them.

I can't remember how much per gallon are taxes, but it's a big chunk, and if I remember right, it's more than the local store that is selling it makes as a profit.

And, BTW I still thinks gas is too high, we're @ $3.99 here in NE Indiana.

The other thing I find odd regarding this topic, is the lack of coverage in the local/national news. Maybe I'm missing the stories, but I haven't see anything mentioned AT ALL, nothing like in '08 when it spiked up like this.

Happy Friday everyone!!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are right...what the gas corps pay in taxes and more sure does help support the govt. Along with tobacco and other that other jazz.

I just like to moan about price increases that are in our faces every single day, going up and down and up and down on the signs at the stations.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
$4.19 per gallon at the no name gas station.

I calculated yesterday that it costs me $4.19 to go to town to SaveMart. I get 18 mpg in my chrysler and its 18 miles round trip. Good thing I SAVE more than $4.19 by buying groceries there than at the local market one mile away....