How are the taste of these meats canned up? Best ways to use them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slaps forehead.....makes sense now!

Thanks ORChick!

Now back to my regularly scheduled canning session - gotta get that beefy veggie soup done!

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Just for the sake of arguement since everyone seems to be thoroughly enjoying arguing in this thread :p :lol: Who oven cans, and how, and wouldn't that be better anyway? You can surely reach well above botulism murdering temps in an oven. Anybody got the scoop on the logistics of that? I wanna can meats, and I hate pressure canners...thought maybe I could find an alternative in oven canning. Go! :D

Edited becaws I kaint speel werth a karp :p

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
:pop :hide

I've never even heard of oven canning.... I'll be interested to hear thoughts and ideas on the subject!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
Moolie you are a wealth of information! :) But I am confused... (kind of a normal state for me, lol)

"For meat to be heated to the point where not only the botulism organism is destroyed but also the spores, the meat inside the jars must reach 120C/248F. This cannot be done in a boiling water canner."

I get that - and I do follow the guidelines and pressure can for the same reason that you do. I see no reason to take an unnecessary risk.

What I don't understand is this: we pressure can to reach the internal temperature of 248F - so what good will it do to boil the food (at 212F) after pressure canning? If the botulism spores weren't killed at 248F - they're not going to be killed at 212F! (And that alone is why I pressure can instead of boiling water bath for low-acid foods.)

I guess this is just their way of trying to cover their.....selves?
As I said in my previous post, my belief is that the writers of those cookbooks/manuals are just trying to cover their butts should someone not follow the guidelines to the letter, but I don't know the true reason.

Beekissed said:
Perhaps you have a "fear" of trying something new, in case you find that you like it?
:D

Last I checked, pressure canning isn't something "new". My mother used a pressure canner all the time I was growing up...granny didn't, mother did. The last thing I fear is trying something new. But I'm not above keeping old, tried and true either....never did like throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

There aren't too many things I fear on this Earth. :)

It seems weird to me that we can't each have different methods of canning without disparaging one over the other. No one is saying pressure canning is not something folks should do, they are just saying that some prefer not to do it and do not fear canning in a water bath or steam canner...and that should be okay without all the long, drawn out dissertations on how foolish we are being by not being "prudent" enough.

Each to his own, for pete's sake. :rolleyes: I'll agree not to eat your food and I won't twist your arm to eat any of mine and that should make everybody happy.....should...
I'm not in any way unhappy.

In saying "trying something new", I meant new to you--not new in the course of history. It sounds from everything that you've said that you've chosen your own method, so doing something else would be "new" to you.

:) And I've said over and over, each to his/her own. Please re-read my posts, I think I've been clear on that point--I don't care what others do, I care what I do. And I care when wrong information is disseminated as it was above.

And I really don't like someone labeling my prudence, and that of anyone else who chooses to follow certain guidelines, as "fear". It has absolutely nothing to do with fear, that is your "label" and it is incorrect.

I've been accused of "arguing" my point on this topic in this and other threads and via PM, I'm not arguing--I'm presenting a point of view (and defending my personal choices against someone else's label of "fear"). Last I checked, presenting a point of view is part of a healthy discussion process :)

You are very welcome to your method of canning. Doesn't bother me a bit what you or anyone else choose to do.

Beekissed: how about we take the discussion further? How about you tell us what, how, and how often you can via your method? How about if we take Cindi WBF's question into consideration and add that to the discussion?

Cindi, I don't think that oven canning can reliably get food in jars to the correct temperatures. From what I've read and what my friend has told me there are always hot spots and cold spots in an oven and no two ovens are the same, thus why there are no guidelines or processing times given anywhere that would allow home canners to achieve the same results as anyone else. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
ORChick posted this which helps explains why boiling after canning is a good idea.

"The botulism spores can only be killed by the high heat which can be obtained in a pressure canner. Water bath canners cannot do this. The toxin (that is produced in anaerobic conditions) can only be destroyed by boiling; so if there is any doubt, boiling the food for 20 minutes after opening the jars adds an additional measure of safety, although this is not always practical."

Thanks everybody!

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
And I've said over and over, each to his/her own. Please re-read my posts, I think I've been clear on that point--I don't care what others do, I care what I do. And I care when wrong information is disseminated as it was above.

And I really don't like someone labeling my prudence, and that of anyone else who chooses to follow certain guidelines, as "fear". It has absolutely nothing to do with fear, that is your "label" and it is incorrect.

I've been accused of "arguing" my point on this topic in this and other threads and via PM, I'm not arguing--I'm presenting a point of view (and defending my personal choices against someone else's label of "fear"). Last I checked, presenting a point of view is part of a healthy discussion process :)

You are very welcome to your method of canning. Doesn't bother me a bit what you or anyone else choose to do.

Beekissed: how about we take the discussion further? How about you tell us what, how, and how often you can via your method? How about if we take Cindi WBF's question into consideration and add that to the discussion?

Cindi, I don't think that oven canning can reliably get food in jars to the correct temperatures. From what I've read and what my friend has told me there are always hot spots and cold spots in an oven and no two ovens are the same, thus why there are no guidelines or processing times given anywhere that would allow home canners to achieve the same results as anyone else. :)
Moolie, I did not give the wrong information. I simply did not use the words "internal food temp." I gave a simplified answer to the question of why commercially canned food might not be under the "boil warning". Please google it as per your own suggestion and regardless of what your canner and methods produce, testing in a lab has shown that home canners "do not reach an internal food temp." of 250 degrees. Now, I do not really agree with that either but I have not scientifically re- produced the results in a lab, so my oppinions don't count on this. That is why safe food handling techniques prior to canning are so important.

When you tested your jars did you remove the lid and insert a properly calibrated thermometer into the contents? If you did not, then you are making assumptions about your canner's abilities. Again, nothing wrong with that at all. If a lab did this, using internal thermometers in the jar during processing, than it would be helpful if you could upload the documented lab results.

I know you like to keep trotting out your friend the chef from the local culinary school; SAIT I presume? As a graduate of SAIT, assuming we are talking about SAIT, I know for a fact that they do not cover any form of canning real or imagined and the chef's I knew when I was there, could not be considered experts in canning either but then again that would be presuming too much, may-haps. Not saying Moolie's friend doesn't know about canning, but that friend learned it from Grandma same as Moolie and I. Didn't learn it in any culinary school. Now this last statement is pure speculation and I may be completely wrong. It just wasn't in any of the promotional literature when I was selecting a culinary school.

I have the Alberta government's food handling certificate as well as Ontario's and I have an approved commercial kitchen. I don't have a commercial canner as that is a whole other ball game. Food that I produce for sale, must follow government regulations. Food that I produce for home does not and I do things a bit differently then because I want to "like" my home grown food and not turn it into pabulum and the safe tested recipes in the canning bibles are boring, limited and the same old, same old. I am not an imbecile I do know my fair share about food.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
:pop :hide

I've never even heard of oven canning.... I'll be interested to hear thoughts and ideas on the subject!
ditto

animalfarm

Power Conserver
Reaction score
moolie said:
Technically speaking, one would think that a convection oven would take care of the hot/cold spots. Convection is nothing more then a cirlulating fan in the back of the oven for which you pay big bucks. The questions that need to be asked are; how long and at what temp. would you need to keep the oven to obtain the desired results? Does the convection adaquately address the hot/cold spots? How does one place the jars and how many to avoid too much heat from the oven walls? Does your oven cycle on and off to maintain the required temp. and how does this effect the temperature variances inside your oven and jars? Assuming these are answered to ones satisfaction, how do the parameters change for acid, non acidic foods and textures? As Cindy said, all this will change from oven to oven. Personally I wouldn't go near anything oven canned in a wood fired cook stove and would have to be fairly confident on the quality/reliability of my stove/oven. Not. I'll stick with water bath and pressure canning. I can be a fraidy cat too.

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
animalfarm said:
Moolie, I did not give the wrong information. I simply did not use the words "internal food temp." I gave a simplified answer to the question of why commercially canned food might not be under the "boil warning". Please google it as per your own suggestion and regardless of what your canner and methods produce, testing in a lab has shown that home canners "do not reach an internal food temp." of 250 degrees. Now, I do not really agree with that either but I have not scientifically re- produced the results in a lab, so my oppinions don't count on this. That is why safe food handling techniques prior to canning are so important.

When you tested your jars did you remove the lid and insert a properly calibrated thermometer into the contents? If you did not, then you are making assumptions about your canner's abilities. Again, nothing wrong with that at all. If a lab did this, using internal thermometers in the jar during processing, than it would be helpful if you could upload the documented lab results.

I know you like to keep trotting out your friend the chef from the local culinary school; SAIT I presume? As a graduate of SAIT, assuming we are talking about SAIT, I know for a fact that they do not cover any form of canning real or imagined and the chef's I knew when I was there, could not be considered experts in canning either but then again that would be presuming too much, may-haps. Not saying Moolie's friend doesn't know about canning, but that friend learned it from Grandma same as Moolie and I. Didn't learn it in any culinary school. Now this last statement is pure speculation and I may be completely wrong. It just wasn't in any of the promotional literature when I was selecting a culinary school.

I have the Alberta government's food handling certificate as well as Ontario's and I have an approved commercial kitchen. I don't have a commercial canner as that is a whole other ball game. Food that I produce for sale, must follow government regulations. Food that I produce for home does not and I do things a bit differently then because I want to "like" my home grown food and not turn it into pabulum and the safe tested recipes in the canning bibles are boring, limited and the same old, same old. I am not an imbecile I do know my fair share about food.
Again, I'm not looking for a fight :rolleyes:

I neither called you an imbecile nor questioned your knowledge, I simply pointed out that what you stated as fact was incorrect. Thank you (and I do mean that, in case it's still not coming out right) for clarifying your earlier comments--the word "internal" is pretty important when talking about processing temps, imho. What you said was that:

animalfarm said:
Commercial canners reach 250 degrees while home pressure canners reach 240 degrees.
And that doesn't tell the whole story.

To answer your questions:

I didn't personally test my canner, a friend of mine is a high school science teacher, and he was intrigued about my pressure canner when it came up during dinner conversation one evening when we were out with him and his wife. He asked me if his class could run some tests, and I was initially very hesitant because it is my Mom's old canner and I use it quite regularly year-round. He reassured me that they would in no way hurt it, they were doing a unit on measurement and he wanted to do something interesting for the temperature component. He said he only needed it for 2 days to allow his each of his classes to do the tests. I can find out more about what specifically they did if you'd like. But he told me that the highest temperature reached was consistently 122C, sometimes a degree or two higher. Not sure how many classes he had at that level, this was last spring.

And no, my chef friend doesn't teach at SAIT. He's actually a retired chef who trained in Europe as well as the US and I think Rio Dejaneiro, and taught in Vancouver.

My sincere apologies for being imprecise, "local" in this case doesn't refer to my current city, but rather to my impression that the general audience here is American and I am in Canada. His own training in food preservation had nothing to do with what he taught despite your passive-aggressive comments otherwise, he actually taught in the school's downtown Vancouver restaurant (which I understand is very posh and well-respected). I can ask him for specifics on how he knows so much about food preservation as well if you'd like, he's always happy to talk cooking and has taught me the coolest things over the years like how to use a knife properly. He very definitely didn't learn about food preservation from his Grandma though, and I think he'll have a huge laugh when I tell him what you said.

Look, I really need to make it clear here since I'm still getting PMs telling me that I'm being a hard ass on this topic. I'm not. Do whatever the heck floats your boat. Really truly. But don't call my choices "fear". And don't tell me that I'm not allowed to have my opinions on the subject either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts