How are you an expert?

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year that was the plan but the garden didn't turn out. I'm hoping if a garden gets planted this year it will do so much better and I'll be able to give canning/jarring a try.

Yep, I did no garden last year. This year isn't look a whole lot better but, I do plan to get a small on in for own use. our canned things look great. It is so pretty to go into a cellar and see rows and rows of veggies, pickles, jams....lovely color & great food for winter. How can that be more than comforting?
A lot of work, a garden & preserving!! Also, fulfilling!! My visits were over 60-65 years ago! Can still "smell" the moist cellars -- one was in a basement, dirt floor, and other was dug into a hillside, wooden door & shelves.

Now that I think back on life then it is just AMAZING that they had gardens to feed themselves summer and all winter. Both hunted and often had a feeder pig. So, deer, rabbit, squirrel, possum, coon, chickens from the flocks, all became prizes. It was a time when both had large families (6 & 7 kids each) & sometimes no jobs. Your garden HAD to be in & producing. You HAD to preserve the food. One grands had NO electric, running water -- water bath canning on a wood stove! Wash clothes with lye soap, washboard, tubs of water. Plow with horse or mule. No vehicle. :old This was true even just 40 yrs ago. So, we CAN survive with less than current amenities. Poor & rich at one time.

I just started a thread "My hobby-Plastic Canvas needlepoint" under random ramblings. I'm curious if there's anybody else who has the same kind of hobby as me.

I like to do needlepoint, I use cloth. Used to do a lot on flights from VA to FL which I took EACH month for 8 yrs! I have a lot of Xmas decorations, LOL. It is soothing but, tedious. I'll check your thread.

One grandmother used to crochet -- doilies everywhere! Both did quilting out of necessity. One did more patterns but, one just was happy to piece enough fabric for a quilt.

I don't crochet or knit but, I am a good seamstress! Made family clothes for years....lot of clothes, doll clothes, prom dresses, wedding dresses, etc. I'm good at that.

NH Homesteader

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I got a sewing machine for Christmas but I haven't learned how to use it yet. My husband keeps bugging me to fix his clothes but I'm like ... Can I learn how to sew in a straight line first? Lol

I finally had some food worth preserving last year, but we had a drought and I couldn't water for most of the summer (my well actually ran dry at one point). I froze everything though. This year I have high hopes and need to learn how to can! I'm sick of the grocery store!

I'm not giving up my electricity though....;)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can thread a sewing machine, lol. I can sew. Made a lot of simple stuff for my kids when they were little. Made my own custom curtains to match the dining room chairs that I re-upholstered. I almost forgot about that. In fact, I asked DH for a sewing machine a few years ago - so I have one. Have I ever taken it out of the box? Nope...o_O But, do I plan on it....yep, someday when I have the time. It's nice knowing I have it.

I've done some fairly extensive needlepoint. And, I can crochet. But, my carpal tunnel flares up when I do so the most I can get away with is about 10 minutes at a time before the fingers go numb. I used to crochet two or three afghans every winter. Even made crocheted Christmas ornaments and those cute crocheted Christmas trees. I loved it...but that was pre-goats!

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Are those homemade bread and butter pickles? If so, I'll be right over to get some seeing how they are my favorite. LOL

Yes. I made bread and butter and dill. My family went crazy over the bread and butter. My youngest son loves the dill but I think they are toooo lip puckering! Not pictured is relish that is going over well.

sumi

Rest in Peace 1980-2020
Reaction score
I really, really need to trim mine.