How are you self reliant?

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
I'm not very self reliant. :( I do have my own chickens, working on a rather large library of DIY's and How to's, I make my own bread, my garden leaves alot to be desired, I'm slowly learning about fermentation and cheese making, I do can, I knit, I can hunt, I am learning to weld, and that's all I can think of right now. I can't do a whole lot in the city. I can't wait to have a farm!

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Urban - that's a heck of alot more than most people can do! And you have the desire to learn, which is a huge plus.

urban dreamer

I wanna farm
Reaction score
Javamama said:
Urban - that's a heck of alot more than most people can do! And you have the desire to learn, which is a huge plus.
Yea, when the SHTF I'm better off than most people! :gig

I can't wait to move out so I can expand and try some of the other things I wanna do. I wanna make soap, and have goats and a really BIG garden (So I'll have more stuff to can :p ).

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
I'm not very self-reliant, but this is what I have done so far:

A garden. Small this year, but we're killing off the grass to expand for next year. I plan to can tomatoes (salsa, sauce, etc), pickles and green beans. My fiance loves fresh peas that they never make it to the table. :)

Mending. I can make clothes last a long time!

Making clothes. I can sew, knit and crochet, but it's an electric machine, I have to buy fabric. I buy yarn (thrift stores!). I'm giving another try at spinning fiber. I have angora rabbits that provide a little bit of fiber. I would like to be able to make enough yard to knit a sweater for myself.

Rabbits. I have them for meat and wool. I really need to get better at butchering. Offing them for dog food was easy. Butchering for human consumption was very frustrating and hard. I need to practice! However, I do buy rabbit food and wood chips for their litterboxes. I was hoping to feed them more grasses and such, but we live in a little neighborhood where everything is neat and trimmed. I'm not sure where to go to get wild grasses and vegetation for them.

Fishing. We live right by 6 lakes and panfish fishing is good. My fiance and I can both fish and clean fish. But we fish on his motorboat... So not really self-reliant. I guess we would have to fish out of a canoe or paddleboat, dock it on the water and walk or bike there for it to truly be self-reliant.

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Now there is a thought. Using rabbits for making yarn. I have only used small amts of yarn lately because the price is too much for me, so I am using stuff which was given to me and a little I bought just to make Raggedy Ann dolls.
I do have rabbits but not the right kind for this project, but I can check into it. I had recently made a comment that I would need a sheep so I could crochet all I want to.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
You don't need a sheep. Put the word out. I did. Somehow I now have NINE free fleeces and haven't even started spinning yet! How does this happen??? Of course, not all are suitable for spinning, but I have big plans for all of them this winter. A king-size quilt, and underquilt, pillows, and some yarn from the best fibers.

Ooo, do I have enough?? :p

My first fleece is special, because it came from a friend. Six I found on craigslist for free, and the last two were sort of a trade (I gave something to someone expecting nothing in return, and was offered the two fleeces.)

The_Realistic_Optimist

Power Conserver
Reaction score
This is a great tip. I had no idea you could get fleeces for free or trade. Thanks!!!

I have not yet tried my hand at spinning, but I have a good friend (my step-DIL) who does and she is very good at it, but she purchases the wool and has it shipped to her.

freemotion said:
You don't need a sheep. Put the word out. I did. Somehow I now have NINE free fleeces and haven't even started spinning yet! How does this happen??? Of course, not all are suitable for spinning, but I have big plans for all of them this winter. A king-size quilt, and underquilt, pillows, and some yarn from the best fibers.

Ooo, do I have enough?? :p

My first fleece is special, because it came from a friend. Six I found on craigslist for free, and the last two were sort of a trade (I gave something to someone expecting nothing in return, and was offered the two fleeces.)

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am pretty sure there are people with sheep in my area. I can check into it. omg....if I order a spindle my family will just freak.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
farmboy said:
I want to know how each and everyone of you provide for yourself. Do you raise licestock? Do you have a garden? Do you bake bread?

At my self reliant piece of land me and my family:

Raise a huge garden and canned most of it
Raise Laying Hens (18 Pullets and 15 Adults)
Raise Breeding Rabbits ( 2 does and a buck) one doe is pregnant I cant wait!!!
Raise Honeybees (Didnt get honey sadly this year)
Raise Fruit Trees (3 orchards, 1 of which will be replaced this spring with new trees)
I freeze homemade biscuits. We make some cleaning supplies. I just started the bread starter. We are going to raise meat chickens next year. I also plan to refurbish the old Apple orchard with some Cortland, Winesaps, and some type of cider tree. And I would also like to raise (in a tractor) a few heritage meat turkeys. Oh and eventually make honeycomb soaps and candles. What do you do?
Okay...now my spidey senses are tinglin'....who are you and why do you wanna know????? :hide Are you from the USDA???? :rant

:lol: