How big is your freezer?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
So I just talked to a man about buying a quarter of a beef. He guessed it would be about 5 cubic feet in a freezer. Last week I talked to a woman about buying 10 chickens. They will take up a lot of freezer space.

I only have a top-of-fridge freezer, and a 5.5 cu ft chest freezer and they are both already full! I have been really diligent about canning and dehydrating instead of freezing, but I only like frozen broccoli, rhubarb, berries, and zucchini. Plus I have a winters-worth of cheese and butter in there.

Gosh darn it! How much freezer space do you all have.......... and how much do you need?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Mine is 20.5 upright and its FULL so is my fridge freezer space, I wish I still had more space. I am always having to rearrange stuff to get more in them.

unclejoe

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It doesn't matter how big it is, it's never enough. The more space you have the more you seem to need. :rolleyes:

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I have two 20 cubic foot chest freezers - both energy savers. One is for veggies, fruit, and fats (for soap making). The other is for meat.

Then I have a bottom freezer on my fridge and a second small old refrigerator that I only plug in for those overflow times. I use the extra fridge for chilling meats after I butcher and aging them as well as those big food holidays like Thanksgiving and Christmas or heavy harvest times.

I try to keep all of my freezers inventoried and current. I try to keep things organized by product and front to back/oldest to newest by date.

And I still have to re-arrange to fit stuff in from time to time! :/

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
20.5 upright and a fridge with freezer. Used to have another fridge with freezer but it died. I NEED another one in a bad way! I need a new second fridge and a huge chest freezer!

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
I forget what mine is, 10 or 12 cu ft, something like that. Could use another one.

Unless you are addicted to roast chicken, one thing that can help there with storage is to dismember them as parts will pack more tightly; or even partly process some of them before freezing to yield boneless meat (either raw or cooked) plus a bunch of *concentrated* chicken stock. The latter of course can be canned if you have a pressure canner, further saving space.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat