How can I figure out how much my goat weighs?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
She is an alpine, if anyone knows. i have checked websites but go no relevant info on what her weight might be, ans aside from picking her up and putting her on a scale, I don't know how to measure her weight. Anyone know?

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
:pop

I have wondered this as well. I have only been able to guess at the weight of my goats by comparing them to the weight of some of the dogs that I know that are similar height, but that is a real crappy way to guess.

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
There are weight tapes you can use to get an estimate - a measuring tape of sorts. I think they are made for standard breeds, so they aren't useful for minis. But I think it would work for a full size alpine.

OH! lookie here! http://fiascofarm.com/goats/weight-chart.htm - again not for minis :/

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
The taping method is the easiest but not too accurate. So guesstimate up if she is fat and down if she is thin. For meds/dewormers, I give more than the recommended dosage per lb body weight since "less is more" does NOT work with goats and can create serious problems if underdosed, and there is a margin of safety in the recommendations.

Did that make sense? :p

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
yep--made sense. I did dose her with ivermec when we first got her, butit appears we guesstimated her weight wrong since she is still wormy. So, I'll assume she is a fat goat (whch she is not, but for hte sake of making sure she has enough...), and doseher accordingly.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There is a LOT of resistance in modern goat worms.....underdosing creates more resistance. You may have gotten a goat with resistant worms, so proceed with your eyes wide open.

There is some good new info on byh from a couple of members who attended a seminar in...um....Ohio? But the information can be useful anywhere. Look for the thread with the university seminar title and links to slides, etc.

Did you run a fecal on her? I'm guessing you did.....

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this is an appropriate response but I remember seeing my mom put a canvas sling under her goats once in a while. She did this on the milking stand. The ends of the sling went up into a hook on a scale and the scale was hooked on a small rope-fall hoist attached to the rafters in the goat barn. She weighed her goats 2 or 3 times a year. The goats didn't seem to mind at all and she could weigh a goat in less than a minute.

If they're small goats just pick one up and get on the bathroom scale.