How/can I get the rust off a machete?

crazychickens

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Our machete blade is covered in rust because I left it outside. (all winter, oops :/ )

Now we have a full grown Easter egger rooster that was nice as a baby, then learned to crow and now attacks myself and my son, who's only 4 years old. :thun

Forsome reason he never attacks my husband? Then again my hubands reaction would be different than my son and I who run away screaming like school girls.

So we have decided, we need to chop his head off before someone gets hurt bad. The roo has already clawed my sons back until he bleed.

I need to sharpen the blade of the machete, but what about the rust?
Can I still sharpen it? :idunno

Thank-you

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
My experience is that acidic sodas do not do a very good job of removing any sincere degree of rust. I'd use fine steel wool, judiciously. Then resharpen the blade. Possibly oil it afterwards.

If you are in a hurry, just resharpen it now (ignoring the rust), but ultimately you really need to get the rust off as it will just continue to corrode and eat up the metal.

Good luck,

Pat

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wow that sounds like one mean bird with an attitude

yup, time for the pot for him! :)

are you going to cook him when done?
just wondering....cause in the end you get the last laugh.

hope your sons' back is OK...those types of scratches can be nasty.

crazychickens

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Yeah, we are going to eat him(romeo the rooster). At least then we get a good meal out of him.

My son is ok, but keeps asking if we can eat Romeo today.

I wont let him play outside till that roo is gone, but my husband has to do the deed because Im to soft hearted to chop its head off.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
good, at least he becomes a good meal and I am glad your son is OK. At least he wants to eat Romeo, and isn't scared of animals and such. That is great!!

yea I let Tony do most of the bad things around here. He shot my horses when necessary (from old age and twisted gut) and dispatched a very sick dog...etc..I am so fortunate he can do these things cause I can't.

When I have to I jump in and help injured animals for care and such, but poor Tony gets the brunt of the hard chores. Thank goodness for strong men!!

Cassandra

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My grandma, if we ever got an old iron skillet that had rust in it, would let us play with it in sand for a while to get the rust out.

Seems like if you had a bucket of sand, you could stab the machette down into it and slice it back & forth through the sand for a while.

Cassandra