How can I make a duck scarf, to protect my ducks neck from a drake?

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So, I have had this question, is it possible, to sew a scarf for a duck that sits up on there necks so that the drake wont pull out there neck feathers? It would have to attach to the top of the head somehow right, so that it wouldn't slide down there neck. And it would have to be super light weight, or plastic, so that is doesn't chill there necks, or weigh down when they swim. It would also have not be break away, and if the drake grabbed the fabric instead of the neck, then would he choke the hen out because he is pulling on her head trying to get a grip? Any ideas appreciated! I really want to try this out!

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Do you think a chicken helmet could fit a duck??? I was thinking it could give an attachment point to prevent a neck cover from slipping down.

Ripstop nylon fabric might work, but it might not be tough enough. Cordura nylon might work better. Its stiffer, but that might prevent it from sliding down?

If you're not a sewer, the leg protectors for mini poodles are probably about right for a duck snood, but thats assuming they dont slide down. Ive bought custom size poodle leggings on etsy in the past.

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Do you think a chicken helmet could fit a duck??? I was thinking it could give an attachment point to prevent a neck cover from slipping down.

Ripstop nylon fabric might work, but it might not be tough enough. Cordura nylon might work better. Its stiffer, but that might prevent it from sliding down?

If you're not a sewer, the leg protectors for mini poodles are probably about right for a duck snood, but thats assuming they dont slide down. Ive bought custom size poodle leggings on etsy in the past.
I can sew, not nicely, my threading is always all over the place and wonky, but I can attach stuff to other things! I alway worry about helmets not being breakaway, and I feel like it would be to small for a duck. Could you use an elastic strap and go around the back of he head from the front, and then have like some flowy fabric coming down the neck behind it? I wouldn't want the drake to grab the fabric, and hurt the duck though because it was loose and he couldn't get a good grip. Hmm, this is complicated.

Daisy

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
What about just wrapping the neck in vet wrap? (this sort of stuff <<link. I dont know if you guys call it the same thing over there!) It can rip under enough pressure and can be wrapped as many times as you want thick. It is cheap and can be reused to a point, but to prevent infections I'd be inclined to change it daily.

Goodluck! Its not something I have ever thought of, right now my boys are separate from the girls, and those little hussies are crying about it haha.

MistyWeeg13

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
What about just wrapping the neck in vet wrap? (this sort of stuff <<link. I dont know if you guys call it the same thing over there!) It can rip under enough pressure and can be wrapped as many times as you want thick. It is cheap and can be reused to a point, but to prevent infections I'd be inclined to change it daily.

Goodluck! Its not something I have ever thought of, right now my boys are separate from the girls, and those little hussies are crying about it haha.
That is a great idea! Duh! I have tons of vet wrap from bumble foot! I will try this! Thank you!

Fuchsia

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

That's a great idea!

Latest posts