How can I repurpose it? polar fleece

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
I have a pair of old polar fleece pants and the elastc waist has stretched beyond repair. And I am not going to replace the elastic. but there is alot of good usable fabric there screaming out to be used for something--I just don't know what. It will not make good rags, but it has to be good for something, yes? Ideas please? :D

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Vest? Balaclava? Watch cap? Mittens? Booties to keep your feet warm indoors? Vest for the dog? Snow boots for the dog? Cover for a hot water bottle?

patandchickens

Crazy Cat Lady
Reaction score
Huh, I just dug my box o polarfleece scraps out of the closet over the weekend to make some tug toys for the dog, as I am trying to take up dog agility and the instructors all seem to want your dog trained to view a tug-toy as positive reinforcement. Commercially sold polarfleece tug toys, just 3 strips braided with a knot in each end, sell for like $10 and up, it's *nuts*.

That probably isn't much use to you though :p

Frankly if it were me and I liked the pants I'd replace the elastic. If it's sewn directly on, rather than in a casing, you can just cut it off altogether, make a casing out of some other knit, and sew it on.

But, if you don't really LIKE the pants to begin with, and have no need of dog tug-toys :p, you can make mittens, hats, scarf, neckwarmer/headband thingie, etc. Actually the diameter of the pants leg might be just right for a neckwarmer/headband thingie, you should check it out if that's something you'd wear.

Someone, maybe WZ?, suggested using little polarfleece scraps to patch holey heels in socks.

You can also just save it as fabric for the future -- polarfleece is great for making quick quilts out of b/c you can just piece it together and leave the rough edges showing since they do not unravel.

Pat

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
There are lots of polar fleece patterns out there for hats, mittens, scarves, slippers. Any of those could be made from pants, I'm sure. Stuffed toys are nice, too, for children or for dogs. It also makes wonderful dog sweaters and baby goat sweaters (made horse-blanket style.) I have 7 of them ready for kidding season here, and my old dog has two sweaters (one blaze orange for hunting season) and I just made a nice custom sweater for a friend with a hard-to-fit daschund. You can double the fabric for some of these projects if a heavier weight is needed.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Neck muffs made out of polar fleece are wonderfully useful and warm and, with a stitch here and there, can be made into toboggans.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
There are lots of polar fleece patterns out there for hats, mittens, scarves, slippers. Any of those could be made from pants, I'm sure. Stuffed toys are nice, too, for children or for dogs. It also makes wonderful dog sweaters and baby goat sweaters (made horse-blanket style.) I have 7 of them ready for kidding season here, and my old dog has two sweaters (one blaze orange for hunting season) and I just made a nice custom sweater for a friend with a hard-to-fit daschund. You can double the fabric for some of these projects if a heavier weight is needed.
Free, are you making these on your new/old machine? Darn! I don't have any dogs or goats - do you think the cats would like sweaters? Or maybe the chickens? Oh, yeah, I live in Oregon, not Mass. or Ontario ... never mind :p.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
ORChick said:
freemotion said:
Free, are you making these on your new/old machine? Darn! I don't have any dogs or goats - do you think the cats would like sweaters? Or maybe the chickens? Oh, yeah, I live in Oregon, not Mass. or Ontario ... never mind :p.
You don't have goats yet???? I think it is a new rule for members here...must either have goats, be getting goats, or seriously pining for goats! :p

Yep, made 'em on my treadle! Poor machine was a bit confused at the modern fabric....plus I can zigzag with the machine I put into my treadle base...hee-hee!

Don't you have snow in Oregon??? Y'all wear hats and slippers, don't you?

xdewit

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I had this old swiffer hanging around. I had a lot of old fleece sweaters... I made swiffer covers for it like this:
go to url tipnut.com / make-your-own-swiffer-cloths (put http in front of the tipnut, sorry I wasn't able to post an url).
and the swiffer fleece thing works, it takes on (dog) hair very well as wel as other dirt.
Xant

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
ORChick said:
freemotion said:
You don't have goats yet???? I think it is a new rule for members here...must either have goats, be getting goats, or seriously pining for goats! :p

Yep, made 'em on my treadle! Poor machine was a bit confused at the modern fabric....plus I can zigzag with the machine I put into my treadle base...hee-hee!

Don't you have snow in Oregon??? Y'all wear hats and slippers, don't you?
Depends on what part of Oregon. We did indeed get snow both last week and the week before - two times one major fall (3" maybe :hide), and then a couple of days until it all melted. It was down to 19* the other night; I felt bad for the chooks. And no, no goats. I'm hoping I can get around the requirement by saying that I was here earlier (grandmothered in, as it were :p), or maybe that I really, really would like a nice little Jersey cow someday - which is true, but not at all likely to happen :(. Poor confused treadle. Must I inform the SPCT (Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Treadles) of your heinous acts? :lol:

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Well, there is no shortage of things to do with polar fleece! I like the quilt idea because it is warm and really doesn't ravel. Nice sofa blanket. I also have made several neck warmers. Mittens are easy. Socks or slippers are good. They also dust things very very well.

Latest posts