How can I repurpose it? polar fleece

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Hmmm, I think the treadle was confused, not abused! At least it was warm by the fire, with lots of fleece on top! :p

greenSearcher

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
Microwaveable Heat/Ice Pads

Cut the fleece into 2 rectangles 10"x24" stitch 3 sides, leaving a narrow one open. Fill w/ about 1 C of dried feed corn, keep corn out of the way as you stitch that corn into a square about 1/3 from the end, add another C of corn, stitch again about midway from first seam and the end, finally add another cup and stitch closed. This will be warm after a minute or so, hot after 2 minutes in the microwave. It can burn your skin if too hot or left on too long. I made a back sized pad, about 24x30 inches. Stitch the three sides together, then stitch 2 rows so that you have a rectangle, with an narrow end open and three equal columns waiting to be filled like the smaller neck/lower back pad. Add a C of corn to each column, keep out of the way and stitch across the columns to form 8x7-8" closed pockets, repeat until you have 12 evenly spaced pockets of corn. Heats for 2-2.5 minutes. Same heat warning.
The pads are ready to toss when they smell like burned popcorn. Mine lasted well over 2 years, I need to make more before winter. They are wonderful on knees and backs.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive made heat pads too (rice works well also) add dried herbs like lavender for a nice aromatherapy pack too.
cats usually love fleece and warming pads.

i actually made a self heating pad with fleece and an old silver sun reflector (the ones for car windows), had the sun reflector, but it wouldnt stay put int he window and so was usless...
cut it nto cat sized pads (big ones though as i also yse them in the dogs crates so there about 24" x 18") then i took fleece scraps, made a quilt kind of thing to make it big enough sewed it to make a pocket big enough for the reflector to slide n and velcro on one end.
slide reflector in shiney side up towards whatever will sleep on it, and tada, self warming mats, as the cat sleeps on it it reflects the body heat right back up :D

the cats realy seem to love the fleece, or i put them under the dogs crate pads in the winter to add a little extra insulation/reflective heat.

or make a quit out of it, fleece is lovely for that.

fleace usually makes a good dust rag too everything sticks to it :p

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
ive made heat pads too (rice works well also) add dried herbs like lavender for a nice aromatherapy pack too.
cats usually love fleece and warming pads.

i actually made a self heating pad with fleece and an old silver sun reflector (the ones for car windows), had the sun reflector, but it wouldnt stay put int he window and so was usless...
cut it nto cat sized pads (big ones though as i also yse them in the dogs crates so there about 24" x 18") then i took fleece scraps, made a quilt kind of thing to make it big enough sewed it to make a pocket big enough for the reflector to slide n and velcro on one end.
slide reflector in shiney side up towards whatever will sleep on it, and tada, self warming mats, as the cat sleeps on it it reflects the body heat right back up :D

the cats realy seem to love the fleece, or i put them under the dogs crate pads in the winter to add a little extra insulation/reflective heat.

or make a quit out of it, fleece is lovely for that.

fleace usually makes a good dust rag too everything sticks to it :p

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use fleece to make those draft dodgers for your doors. My 100+ year old house needs quite a few of those to keep the cold out in the winter.
Also if you cut them into thin strips (not the stretchy way if you know what I mean) and braid them you can sew them into soft rugs for the bedroom/living room/bathroom/pet's chair you name it.