How can I store raw milk, and for how long?

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Hello,

I found a source for raw milk, "Creamline" milk, from Jersey cows. I am really excited, but it is about a two hour drive to get it. I need to know how long it will keep in the fridge, and if I can store it, etc. Ideally I guess I would like to only make a monthly or twice monthly trip. There is a goat farm nearby who is planning to get set up to sell their milk and products soon, so this would probably be just to get by until then. I have a small chest freezer that is mostly empty now, so there would be plenty of room for milk.

Is there a special procedure to freezing milk? Does it change the flavor or texture, if it's been frozen? How long can milk stay frozen without losing nutrition?

Thanks

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I have stored mine in the fridge for 2 weeks. This is fresh raw Jersey milk as well.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I have been freezing the raw I buy at the grocery. I just stick it in the freezer. :hu It does have an interesting yellow color once its frozen and takes a good couple days to thaw.

g

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
yep - freezer works just fine. either in plastic baggies or in wide mouthed quart jars.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
I froze lots of milk to get me through my goat's dry time. Thaw the ziplocs in a large bowl because they often leak from getting battered in the freezer. The milk will be a little grainy and can separate upon thawing, but sometimes you can shake it back together. I started just tossing it into the blender for a few seconds and this took care of both the grainy texture and the separating.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
There is a texture change when you freeze milk. I can't stand it, but it might not bother you. I would test it on a small amount first.

You can always make your milk in to kefir. That will prolong it as well as give you a nutrition boost.

clkingtx

Power Conserver
Reaction score
In what way does it change the texture for you, WZ? Is it anything like the way that cream changes after freezing?

I only have used store bought, so not raw; but we would freeze the heavy whipping cream, then use it afterwards for whipped cream, or other stuff and the texture never bothered me before. I really never noticed a difference actually, so maybe I am not really observant about that. I tried freezing store bought milk once, years ago. It might have even been reduced fat milk. I think the yellow color freaked me out, and I tossed it. Does the yellow color go away after the milk is thawed?

So I guess a month would be too long to expect raw milk to last in the fridge?

I guess I could get it and make the yogurt and kefir up right away...It might take some figuring, but I am so excited to be able to get the raw milk!

Thanks!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
The cream change is exactly what I am talking about. It totally grosses me out, but I am weird that way :)

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes the yellow color goes away. We just give the gallon/quart a good shake and all is well. I have never noticed a texture change.

What is the deal with freezing heavy cream. I tried it a couple weeks ago. It was like it never thawed. I think the ones in the freezer now will become butter. That's what the consistency reminded me of.

:idunno

g