How did you get to your stage in SS living?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I never answered the post

how did I head toward self sufficient and frugal ways

Mom and Dad were frugal....they spent money definitely but they truly checked their purchases and made informed decisions on when to buy---I learned that from them

Tony was a farmer. He bred horses and grew hay. I bought my hay from him for my horses and we started dating.

I always loved critters and dirt. So Tony dragged me right down that line into the farming lifestyle.

So now I WANT to be more and more this way.....so working on ways to KNOW that I can survive if needed. I know I can, it would be rough as it would for anyone, but with my type of living and my outlook, it would be easier for me than a city slicker not used to being independent.

I am a independent cuss...LOL

Also I want to save money on all money-sucking things like electricity so I can afford decent vacations and such and enjoy some of this life!!!! Put the savings where I can smile!!!

Life is an illusion. Nothing is set in stone but death and the rest hangs on a fine line of money and greed and world economies and such. So if I needed, I could revert back to olden times when I know I could do what is needed to truly survive. So many can not do it and would perish. It is truly that simple. Live life dependent on the illusion, or be sure you can take care of yourself in the real world of nature.

again hope some of that makes sense..HA HA..just rambling and gabbering

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Karen, I think you hit the nail on the head...it is all about how well he appears to provide. Sad, I love him to pieces no matter what but I guess thinking that the outside world is so important skews ones thinking. He thinks I am a nut because I don't care what the outside world thinks.
I think you have inspired me to find that happy medium, something that appears to be nice but gives me the space that I need.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
but I guess thinking that the outside world is so important skews ones thinking.

********you said it right there! We must be true to ourselves. What do we want, who cares what it looks like to others. Others are not living our lives.

Outside influences are everywhere now and they come from every angle and slam ya full force........I used to laugh at the non-conformists out there doing their own thing, now I am trying to be one of them..HA HA HA

the simple life

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I got to this stage through necessity.
Costs are rising all over, food, fuel etc.
Then I had two children enter college this year and I didn't want to have to ever have to make choices that would hurt anyone or anyone's chances to succeed.
I needed to be able to get the kids to where they were going in life and still take care of the kids at home.
I honestly didn't know where else I could cut corners since we gave up vacations and all the other stuff.
But I found little ways that added up.
I learned to cut corners even more and it actually felt good.
I have always been the type to garden, flowers, shrubs trees etc.
But I decided to put in a vegetable garden and not have to buy any veggies all summer.
It felt good to see the vegetables feed my family and decided to do more.
I got um a few dozen chickens, and took one more step to self sufficiency.
I kept researching and then got further into it where I am planning and stocking in order to have what I need if things get real bad.
Its all in steps, baby steps and big steps and eventually we will all get to where we are going.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
I think that over the past few years our "wants" have changed. It used to be the biggest this or the biggest that. Now, we just want to be able to do the things we want. Nothin' fancy, just gardening, watching chickens, selling plants from the greenhouse . My DH owns his own business and it is doing well. As a matter of fact, he has downsized over the last couple of years. Thank God for that forsight because with fuel the way it is now, we would be hurtin'.

Money hasn't really been an issue (we're not drippin' in it or anything like that, lol). We have always believed in hard work, pay the bills then play. Now, we want alot of things that money can't buy: family time, a sense of accomplishment (not really financial accomplishment just self satisfaction in doing something yourself), simplicity and happiness. How better to find that than in being more self suffinient?

I would like for my DH to be able to retire in a few years (he's 42 next month). We have reeeaaaalllly cut back to help us meet that goal. That means, being more frugal, making better decisions in our goal toward more self sufficiency. Plus, with the economy now, well, who knows?

But, my ultimate dream ---- I want to be farmerchick.;)

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
MorelCabin said:
Yup, people like us are really "weird" to the general population...
Not only to the general population, but to most of our family. :rolleyes:

annmarie

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Not only to the general population, but to most of our family.
I was just about to say that! Specifically, the inlaws!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
punkin you sound like a farmerchick now

when ya give up the flowers and poseys and all and move over to gardens....you are there!

I did the same. Now I buy like 1 mum and place it on my porch with my 1 pumpkin...LOL...I used to grow flowers, plant annuals, do this and that....but I sure couldn't eat them if necessary..LOL

Shame I threw so much money on things that kinda made me happy yet didn't contribute to my life...but they did make me smile...I love flowers but I can see them everywhere...even on my 'mater plants..HA HA

roosmom

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
.LOL...I used to grow flowers, plant annuals, do this and that....but I sure couldn't eat them if necessary..LOL
Ummmm, I was under the impression that you could eat the flowers :hu