How do i say goodbye to synthroid medication naturally.?

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have an underactive thyroid gland,i take generic synthroid. I'd like to learn to take care of this problem, minus this med. and the drug store.I heard theres some natural remendy discussed somewhere here on SS, did a search and came up empty...
If the poop hits the fan, i want to be free of the drug store,that may not have the meds i need.Any links and replies on the topic would be much appreciated..

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It was discussed a bit in relation to the impact that soy has on thyroid function....that may be what you were thinking of?

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks Freemotion....was it a good impact... or a bad thing...? Anyone have a link to that thread..? The search mode here doesn't work for me, must be my antique webtv...
Interesting that in the , Pot thread, that weed helps a underactive thyroid gland...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
LOL...exactly. SOY BAD!

Also excess carbohydrates BAD. You might find relief if you keep your intake under 50g of carbs per day. The carbs you do eat should be mostly from vegetables along with the few in meat and full fat dairy.

eggs4sale

Lush who can't use a cheese grater
Reaction score
One option is to switch to Armour Thyroid. It's a natural product, made from the thyroid glands of pigs. It is also much more effective than Synthroid because it contains T3 and T4. You may have to insist your doctor prescribe it, though. They get a big kick-back from Synthroid and Levoxyl, but Armour costs $9 or $10 a month, so no Bahama vacation perks there. You may have to find a compounding pharmacy to get this if Armour is not readily available. Call around and ask them if they have it, and if they do, ask if they'll compound it when it's unavailable. If not, find someone else. You may have better luck with the mom and pop type pharmacies.
Do NOT buy it online. The price is extreme, and the product is doubtful.

As for the thyroid products at health food stores, they won't solve your problem.

DrLowe.com is a wealth of information, but you can read for days on end there now.

To get a good explanation of why the T4 only route (Synthroid) is a waste of time, go to http://www.stopthethyroidmadness.com/t4-only-meds-dont-work/

I have not found a good hypothyroid book that was available at the bookstore. I did the inter-library loan of Dr. Lowe's medical book (it costs $100!) and it saved my life, but it is designed for medical doctors, not moms in brain fogs. I was able to glean enough information to know that I needed Armour, thank God. I've never read the 'Stop the Madness' book referred to above. Back when I was struggling to find out why I was deteriorating so badly, I read Mary Shoman's book. That made me worse. Do NOT take KELP!!! (which she recommends)... There is NO herb, mineral, vitamin, food, or leprechaun that will make your thyroid work 100% again. You will have to take thyroid hormone replacement for the rest of your life, and you need to choose if you'll take T4 products or one of the T3/T4 products. You can take vitamins, especially the B vitamins, to support your thyroid gland but they will not make it function properly all by themselves.

For the record, I have known several people (my sister and aunt come immediately to mind) who are taking Synthroid, and insist it is working for them. They then complain about these awful illnesses and symptoms they live with, but don't make the connection to their thyroid still being under-treated, or in the case of Synthroid, untreated. I can tell by just LOOKING at them that their thyroid is in a coma!

I'd love to hear what your symptoms are, and if any have been fully relieved with Synthroid.

By the way, if the poop hits the fan, I haven't a clue what I'll do. I have some pigs, but I'm not sure if I could make my own thyroid hormone replacement. :p

If you do decide to switch to Armour, or Naturethroid, you need to have a doctor treat you based on how you feel, not based on the TSH number. You may feel good at a very low level, but a lot of doctors (most) freak at low numbers. I'm taking 240 mg. I started at 50! I plan to ask the dr. to increase me to 270 as a trial, to see if my pressure point pain goes away. I'm telling you this as a warning: You will be told that 200, 220, 240 is a huge dose. It isn't. The average dose is 265. Average, which means many are higher than that!

Also, don't take your pill within hours of taking any form of calcium. It's best on an empty stomach. And you will be advised to take it in two separate doses, but it may work better to take it all at once, as it does for me, making a floodgate effect.

I wish you luck!

deb4o

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WOW- eggs,

thats a wealth of info, I too take syntroid and have for 20 years.

But I'am going to look into Armour.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Iodine supplementation can either reduce your need for synthyroid or fully eliminate it. There is a thread in natual remedies on it and I have provided links to further info. Don't have time to write more today.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
Iodine supplementation is only for a very specific thyroid problem. I think goiter, I can't recall. But it will not help hypothyroidism. I tried the iodine route and was unable to walk for days.

If you try kelp or iodine, please research it thoroughly first. Find out if your thyroid condition is the one that will respond to it.

eggs4sale

Reaction score
deb4o said:
WOW- eggs,

thats a wealth of info, I too take syntroid and have for 20 years.

But I'am going to look into Armour.
Thanks, Deb...
Does the Synthroid make you 100% better? I wish I was one of the lucky ones who was able to be treated with Synthroid. My body doesn't do the conversion of T4 to T3, which is what Synthroid requires your body to do. You need T3 and T4 to have a functioning thyroid, but many, many people are unable to convert the T4 to T3.

It's very difficult to be treated by an endrocinologist unless you're a lucky soul who thrives on Synthroid. If you don't have luck with one, you can ask your local pharmacists which doctors prescribe Armour. I asked mine, and got only one name. :(
Naturopaths are much more open to Armour, and will often do a better job of treating the thyroid as they usually ignore the TSH if the patient still feels cruddy. I have to travel 4 hours for one, and my insurance doesn't cover naturopaths, darn it. However, things have improved over the past 10 years.

I know my dose is still too low because I have symptoms of fibromyalgia, mainly pain, deep in the nerves and in the skeletal muscles. Fibromyalgia is often a symptom of the thyroid being un- or under-treated. Rather than being treated for fibromyalgia, many patients would improve if they were at their optimum level of TSH.

Do you have any symptoms that have never been resolved?