How do I ship chicks to Hawaii?

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have a friend in Hawaii who has chickens however he's a bit disappointed in the quality. He would love to get some chicks from my stock here in Wisconsin. Anyone know how feasible it is to ship him some chicks?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Check w/the post office. I wouldn't think it would be any longer of a trip than from Texas to NJ, and I know that's where my chicks came from.

ruthless

Sustainable Newbie
Reaction score
The time involved for travel is not the problem. Hawaii has very strict incoming quarantine laws. I don't know what they are exactly but you will definitely want to do some serious research before trying it.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
theres very specific import laws in hawaii lots of forms to fill out and its very expensive (and even then only a limited number are admitted onto the islands) youd have to call the USDA, potentially also the Dept of Fish and Game, and also talk to customs, they should be able to send you all the info you need in terms of forms costs and regulations. packing rates are different in terms of how many to a box too.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks! I knew it wouldn't be easy, but I know it's been done. Guess the first step would be USDA. My friend says from what he's seen most of the chickens are from Asian decent or mixed with Asian stock, kinda on the thin side and not that great of producers. There's lots of them running wild... but he want's some good stock. :rolleyes:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I wonder if it would be easier to ship fertile eggs for hatching?

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I was going o look into that too... but I know he has no incubator...would have to time it with a broody hen. :idunno I hear so much about people who bought shipped eggs winding up with "scrambled" eggs (in the shell) too :/

Niele da Kine

Power Conserver
Reaction score
http://hawaii.gov/hdoa/ai/ldc/birds

Check there for the import paperwork and instructions. It shouldn't be that much of a hassle. Doesn't matter if they are day old chicks or fertile eggs, there is paperwork for either one.

Which island is he on and what breed of chicken is he looking for? There may already be some on the islands.

There are about three main hatcheries who ship to Hawaii. Partly because they actually will ship to Hawaii, you'd be surprised at how many people think we aren't part of the United States of America and treat us like a foreign country. So the genetics are pretty limited since the birds don't come from very many sources.

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Thanks for the info Niele! I forget what island he's on but he knows my birds and likes my stock.
I've been wanting to get certified anyway, I have a friend that will do it for cost.