How do you all store your seeds??

THEFAN

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm not a novice I am always looking for better and neater ways to store all my STUFF. I am curious to see how everyone stores there seeds for the following years.

Currently I have a craftmans tool box. Started using small tackle boxes to sort them and put them in the toolbox. Then I store in dark low temp part of the house.

I am still curious if storing seeds in plastic tackle cases is doing harm to the seeds though. :( Not sure. I've heard of some plastic cases giving off gas. Maybe I'm looking into it to much. ???

Thank you all for replies ahead of time. :)

Dec 16th Boston Tea Party

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
:lol: Mine are in their packets or in paper envelopes all stuffed inside a sturdy clear plastic bag that some rubber rain clogs came in. I put that on a shelf behind our coats and winter gloves and such, where it will be in the house but dark and cooler. The top of the bag does not shut tightly, so there is some air.

There is no science behind what I do, but my seeds seem to be ok. I often plant seeds that are 2-3 years old.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
We store ours in plastic baggies in the freezer. Or just somewhere in the basement.

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Mine are in my closet in the plastic or paper envelopes they came in. I store them all in a cloth fold up bag. I call it my seed bag and take the whole thing out with me when I decide to plant. :)

noobiechickenlady

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In the bags they came in, then inside a coffee can, a big plastic bag and a few jars. Those are on a high-ish shelf in my pantry where my canned goods are.

bornthrifty

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
it just occurred to me that my very best stash is out in the compost pile! , lol (may take a good eye to figure out what is what, but everythings out there)

and in paper envelopes in a 4 gallon shortening tin

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I used to store mine in baggies or paper envelopes in a large cookie tin. Then the tin wasn't big enough anymore.

Now I store the paper envelopes in master ziplock bags. I.e. all lettuce seed packets go in one ziplock, whick I can label on the outside. All corn seeds go in another ziplock. The seeds are then stores in a large secure rubbermaid container. Actually I have two of them. One is set up to hold hanging files. I love this one, as I can store the seed bags in the hanging files and am able to label the files. Makes it so easy to find them. The bin has a nice tight fitting lid. I wish I could afford to buy more of these. We move the bins into the house in the summer and into the porch in the winter. The enclosed porch gets too hot in the summer.
We always have to protect our seeds from insects, rats and mice.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
CLEARLY labelled in those little snack bags inside a larger gallon Ziploc in the freezer to retain their viability. Someone said on a high shelf...I do not recommend that, heat rises, in winter our houses are pretty warm, and will damage the potency of the seeds. If not in the freezer I'd at least lower them. Then again maybe you guys have never had issue with it, just trying to help :) I have always stored in the freezer, it's what my grandma taught me as a child.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have mine sorted into ziploc baggies and I keep them in the fridge, except for peas and beans, which I store in the freezer. Keeping them cold keeps them viable longer.

Latest posts