How do you clean cast iron??

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh, and I mistreat my skillets something terrible. I wash them with SOAP! :ep And I use a scouring stick on them (lava rock). I do things to my skillets that purists would shudder at, but they survive and do just fine.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
opiemaster said:
Ok guys & gals, thanks for the advice, but now a new problem. :rolleyes: I put them in the wood stove one at a time, and watched them carfully. I have 4 that I thought cleaned up nicely until it came time to re-season them.
I cleaned them with a brillow pad and hot water, hand dried them. Brought the stove to 300 deg. and applied a coating of lard to the pans. I set them in. After 2 hours of cooking I pulled them out and checked. 1 is doing fine, 3 have a "sticky" parts like I didnt let them cook long enough in the woodstove to get all the "old" oil's out. Does this make sense? Do I need to put them back in the wood stove to finish?
It could make sense but I really think it is more likely that you applied too much lard when you reseasoned them[lard doesn't polymerize the same as vegatable products] I have fixed sticky parts by using veg. oil like a solvent, reheat and wipe down while still hot [oven mitts and heat proof scrubber] If you remove a lot of sticky brown-black residue that was the cause. reheat for the rest of the cycle. Remember all cast iron is not alike the old Lodge ware is much smoother than the pre-seasoned Lodge Logic ware than they are selling now. Look up cast iron in Wikipedia to see how the product can be modified. BTW the person using PAM should note that PAM contains more than oil Residue can build up. PAM is meant to be washed off steel or alumonium. Seasoning should not wash out at normal temperatures and brief times.~gd