How do you clean old glass bottles?

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I thought I saw someone post on this subject before, but I could not find it.
I have several old bottles some from the "old dump" on my parents property and some that I saved for years. Some have actual dirt inside of them. Just soaking and shaking them has not sufficiently cleaned them I really want to use these old bottles as glass bottles are kind of hard to come by.
Some of my old bottles are from the 30's or 40's. I especially like the colored ones. They would make good "medicine" bottles. I also have several gallon bottles that have spent a good amount of time outside and have all kinds of unknown thingies growing in them, that I have not been able to remove.

I would really love to re-use these bottles.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can fill them with HOT water...and let them soak a few hours, then drop in a handfull of hard beans....and give it a good shake. The beans wont damage the inside of the glass...and the hot water should make it loosed up a bit, then...disinfect like crazy! LOL

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
It was me, FD, we talked about it on the winemaking thread. I found it....

Long soak with Dawn, then a scrubbing with a bottle brush and baking soda, then a disinfect with a mild bleach solution
My filthy old bottles from an uprooted 3'+ diameter tree came out sparkling clean. I used baking soda and vinegar on other ones, that worked, too.

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
Thanks, am so looking forward to getting these cool old bottles clean and then being able to use them .

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I wonder if an alka seltzer would work?

Latest posts