How do you cook your turkey and dressing?

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
redhen said:
me&thegals said:
We have a crazy Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's every year. I hear there will be 50 of us this year! When mom and dad built, they deliberately put in an enormous kitchen and dining room for this reason :)

Everyone has their specialties, and it goes on for literally 2 days. The 2nd day, the food is even better :) Mom does the turkey and stuffing, one uncle brings his famous stuffing as a side dish--it has apples and bacon in it and is yummy!
Yuuum. Apples and bacon in it?? recipe?? :D
Here 'tis :)

Apple Bacon Stuffing

6 bacon slices

3 cups apples, pared, cored, diced (better with a baking apple like Macintosh)

1 onion, minced

2 stalks of celery, chopped

1/3 cup sugar

1 Tbsp. dried parsley

2 cups bread crumbs

Fry bacon until crisp. To the fat add all remaining ingredients except the bread. (I remove most of the bacon fat and only leave enough to cook the other ingredients). Cook, covered, slowly until the apples are partly done. Add bacon and bread. Blend well, adding more bread if needed.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Change of plans for us

We harvested a big rooster Saturday. Then yesterday someone gave us a turkey. WEll, poo. Can't fit the turkey in my crockpot. So ... gave the chicken to MIL and will buy a big ole pan today while getting stuff for our goats to kid this week. In this very cold weather (read my blog thread if you want more info).

Good thread. Will come back and re-read. Right now the 17.82 pound jennie-o turkey is in the fridge. Solid frozen because HUbby put it in the FREEZER instead of fridge last night. ARGH! Hope it defrosts by Wednesday.

moodlymoo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I dont know if this has been posted yet but I coat a paper bag with butter, season up the turkey, place it inside and bake upside down. Works like a charm and hey, those paper bags are free with food purchase lol

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
We have a crazy Thanksgiving at my mom and dad's every year. I hear there will be 50 of us this year! When mom and dad built, they deliberately put in an enormous kitchen and dining room for this reason :)

Everyone has their specialties, and it goes on for literally 2 days. The 2nd day, the food is even better :) Mom does the turkey and stuffing, one uncle brings his famous stuffing as a side dish--it has apples and bacon in it and is yummy!
I am coming to your place!! sounds like a major BLAST!!!

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
It is!--two days of football, game playing, long walks, yoga/exercise--whatever someone is into and wants to "lead", binge eating.
And no drinking, smoking or TV--so just nonstop clean family fun with no distractions :)

I'm exercising quite a lot this week in anticipation :) Day 2 starts out with quiches, frosted cinnamon rolls, blintzes, chai/hot cocoa, and more. And everyone is a "from-scratch" cook, major foodies, so the food is excellent!