How do you do it when you can't do it?!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So, I was starting to stock pile some stuff and then I moved. Now, my parents throw a fit if I even get my usual groceries. We have two fridges, and a tiny pantry. The pantry is full of stuff that hasn't been touched in months. Nobody eats it. But it won't get cleaned out. :/ So, now I'm struggling to even feel comfortable with weekly groceries. I always feel like the place is so darn empty. Yes, they have their food here, but we don't eat that crap. So, is anyone else stuck in a situation where they can't keep more than a week's worth of food? How do you deal with it? I feel like I'm going to go insane living like this, lol.

Boyd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Bettacreek said:
So, I was starting to stock pile some stuff and then I moved. Now, my parents throw a fit if I even get my usual groceries. We have two fridges, and a tiny pantry. The pantry is full of stuff that hasn't been touched in months. Nobody eats it. But it won't get cleaned out. :/ So, now I'm struggling to even feel comfortable with weekly groceries. I always feel like the place is so darn empty. Yes, they have their food here, but we don't eat that crap. So, is anyone else stuck in a situation where they can't keep more than a week's worth of food? How do you deal with it? I feel like I'm going to go insane living like this, lol.
you have lots of room to store food.. Got a bed right?

Ditch the frame, box springs and replace that with 5 gal buckets full of LTS type food/supplies and throw a piece of 3/4 plywood over it. Put your mattress on top. Now it's hidden, and nobodies the wiser.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Boyd said:
Bettacreek said:
you have lots of room to store food.. Got a bed right?

Ditch the frame, box springs and replace that with 5 gal buckets full of LTS type food/supplies and throw a piece of 3/4 plywood over it. Put your mattress on top. Now it's hidden, and nobodies the wiser.
THAT is an awesome idea! :D

Is it your house or your parent's?

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of room in my house. I just bought end tables that have storage compartments inside. I also have decorative baskets and suitcases that are filled with supplies. People just think they are "cute". Storage doesn't have to be traditional storage. Nobody who sits in my living room knows they are surrounded by a years worth of dry goods.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
If nobody eats what is in the pantry it is time for a thorough clean out, and you will need to do it, as it sounds as though your parents won't. Point out to them that the stuff isn't being used; go through it, and donate what is still good, and toss the rest (I know, it will probably hurt to do that). And then (if possible, after a discussion with your parents) refill the space with food that will be used. And, for your own peace of mind, find other places to put more stuff. Under the bed, as mentioned, is a great idea. Stacked up, with some sort of platform on top, and then a long, to the floor, cloth - voila! a table! If you can, build some shelves around the top of your room - up above head hieght, and as deep as you can. Fill them up, and hang curtains in front. Large baskets are great, and decorative, storage places. This is definitely a time to start thinking "outside the box", or basket, as the case may be. Good luck.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hoosier's husband here. 30 gallon drums with a square of plywood and a tablecloth draped over and a lamp on top make great end tables or nightstands.

The 'revamped' bed frame is always a great idea as well.

mamagoose

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I have this problem too, but more simply because of lack of space in my small apartment. The bed set up works great. I also have quite a bit of space under my bathroom sinks, so instead of storing cleaning supplies I store water prof containers full of non food things like extra batteries and lamp wicks. I sacrificed my linen closet for food storage and just put my towels in my clothes closet.

Don't let others, even those you live with dissuade you by calling you 'crazy'. You know it's just another form of insurance, so tell them as much.Would they go without health insurance or car insurance?

Latest posts