How do you find an extension agent?

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
So, in answer to some of my questions, both on here and other places, I've been told "Just ask your extension agent" or something along that line.

How the heck do I do that? There is no 'extension agent' listed in the phone book.

And when I find them, do I have to call and make an appointment? Do they have an office that people go to?

I am hoping that some anonymous person here can tell me, otherwise I will have to march my self down to the library and ask the librarians yet another embarrasing question.
Really though, librarians are awesome. I ask them random things all the time, and more often than not, they come through for me.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Extension agencies are run by the county. Look on your county government's webpage.

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always found a local extension agent through googling your city along with the words extension office, and you should be able to find the info. The extension agency is tied usually the closest major university around you. I am not sure if I am 100% right with this answer, but hope it helps. Also our local extension agent has a booth at our farmers market every week through the master gardner program. And yes they usually have a local office (no appt necessary) for a wealth of information (free of charge) I live in the desert and they amazed me with the gardening info I got from them this year.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I find they don't have much info on organic gardening or natural livestock farming on hand. :rolleyes:

inchworm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I googled my state's Department of Agriculture. Their site linked to the various county extension services.

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Our extension agents are affiliated with Ohio State University. Check your state school(s).

Also, check online to see if your county extension agent is listed.

sylvie

Recycled Spunk
Reaction score
They are sometimes listed in the phonebook in the government section under county government as Cooperative Extension Service.

I'm sure if you found your soil and water conservation district number they could direct you, as could your local county courthouse operator.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Wow, so many answers..... Thanks Guys, I'll check them out!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Use your state.

I am NC.

I google Department of Agriculture North Carolina.

There is everything you need to know....your County Extension offices will be listed along with tons of info!

My extension office is wonderful. Tons of organic seminars, natural livestock farming, etc. etc. etc.....they tell you how and where to sell produce etc.

You can get great info from them! Best of luck!