How do you make home-made brown and serve rolls

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Holiday's are coming and I am hoping that someone may have a recipe they would like to share on how to make brown and serve rolls. I remember reading somewhere that you can bake for a short period of time then store in freidge/freezer.

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I found this info on another site:

To make your own brown-n-serve rolls is very easy.

Make your favorite yeast roll recipe. Follow the usual rise and shape directions. When it comes time to bake, bake at 250 for 20 minutes (which is the usual time to bake most rolls). The rolls will set but not brown. Cool completely and store well wrapped in the freezer or fridge until ready for use.

Now, you can heat them up just like the store-boughts. I usually cook at around 400*F. until browned and hot. However, I frequently heat them at whatever temperature the other stuff in the oven needs to be at.

The original recipe said to use within 4 weeks but I have kept them in the freezer for 3 months with no problems evident.

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I agree with Marianne-but I think I did mine at about 300F for the same amount of time. I usually do them the day before and don't freeze them and then we brown them when we do dinner. I've made the butter horns and Parker house shapes that way along with the plain ol' pinwheels. I never seem to have enuf room in the freezer for breads.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thank you, Marianne and Emerald, for your advise. I, knew there was a way of making them, but couldn't remember the temp or how long to bake. Here in a couple of weeks I plan to start making
them. Do you think I could do loafs of bread the same way?

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I think if you want to do loaves of bread, you might want to use one of those instant-read meat thermometers to check the temp in the middle- It might be difficult to get the middle fully cooked without the outside getting browned, since you are talking about a much larger piece of dough than a roll. DH bakes his bread until the core temp is about 200 degrees, but of course it's browned as well.

bambi

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Britesa, thank you for your advice. I have been thinking about ever seeing brown n serve bread and I don't think I ever had so this might be the reason why since it would be hard to get the middle done.

I would like to share a recipe that I use when I am not sure if the company that comes to dinner likes whole wheat or white. This is between a light and a medium weight roll that is moist and keeps for several days. It has a wonderful flavor and the molasses is not over powering.

2 cups water
3/4 cup shortening or oil
2 TBLSP of molasses
3 3/4 t0 4 1/4 cups bread flour
3 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp salt
2 pkg active dry yeast
2 eggs

In small suacepan, heat first 3 ingredients until very warm ( 120-130 degrees). In large bowl, blend warm liquid, 2 cups flour and 1 cup of whole wheat flour,sugar,salt yeast and eggs @ low speed until moistened. Beat 4 min. @ medium speed. By hand or dough hook gradually stir in remaining whole wheat flour and enough bread flour to form a stiff dough. Knead on floured surface for 5 min. or until smooth and elastic. Place dough into a greased bowl; turn greased side up. Cover; let rise until light and double in size 45 to 60 min.Punch down dough. Divide dough into 36 pieces; shape into balls. Place into greased pans. Cover; let rise in warm place. 20 minutes before baking; preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake 15 to 20 min. or until golden in color and rolls sound hollowwhen you lightly tap them. Immediately remove from pan. If you desire you can brush with melted butter