how do you make y'alls farming money?

garden boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
cheepo said:
i am sure there is a way to turn your farm dream into a sucess...
i am sure it would be a lot of hard work, but full of imense satisfactions...

i am not in farming,,,but what i would suggest is to do your research...
what is right for your desired area might not be for another...

maybe raise profitable livestock....eg...goose here can sell for $90 for one...at christmas time..
selling off, babies...livestock...

i get my pig from a fellow, who does,..well making goat cheese...and then feeds the whey to the pigs....
is just the pest pork...

maybe sell at farmers markets and produce something diffferent from what others are selling..

figure out what might be in demand...eg a farm around here is producing okra...
another one..is doing well selling aquatic plants

research...find out what is a cash crop..that would work for you...think outside the box
best of luck...
thanks cheepo! Where do you live? I live in florida but i want to move to tennessee! Thanks for the suggestions!:thumbsup

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
You can get more for purebred hatching eggs than for breakfast eggs. Just giving you a heads up on that. It's much better to raise a well known and sought after breed for hatching eggs and chicks rather than just layers to sell breakfast eggs.

garden boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
You can get more for purebred hatching eggs than for breakfast eggs. Just giving you a heads up on that. It's much better to raise a well known and sought after breed for hatching eggs and chicks rather than just layers to sell breakfast eggs.
I know! You can get 1 chick for the price of a dozen breakfast eggs!Thanks for commenting wannabefree!!!!!

cheepo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
i am in bc canada..mild zone 5,,
would think florida...being hot maybe
some unique tropical...I have seen on ebay
some unique sounding vietenamise vegies..
not sure what tennisee is like...
good luck 2 u

garden boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
cheepo said:
i am in bc canada..mild zone 5,,
would think florida...being hot maybe
some unique tropical...I have seen on ebay
some unique sounding vietenamise vegies..
not sure what tennisee is like...
good luck 2 u

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
garden boy said:
Wow!!! That seems harder then i thought!! I thought it was grow,sell,buy and thats it! Thank you for everything you said,i definetly have a diffrent view on it! thanks joel_bc!:thumbsup
I think it would be smart to know you have a market before growing the crop. I was talking to a fellow farmer who knew of a couple who had 30 acres of vegetables and no market. They went under.

I run a small certified organic vegetable CSA.
My husband is a conventional grain farmer.

We also have chickens for eggs (approximately 30 dozen weekly), meat chickens once per year, maple syrup operation, a couple hives, soapmaking. Each of them adds about $1000-2000/year to the rest of the operation.

garden boy

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
me&thegals said:
garden boy said:
Wow!!! That seems harder then i thought!! I thought it was grow,sell,buy and thats it! Thank you for everything you said,i definetly have a diffrent view on it! thanks joel_bc!:thumbsup
I think it would be smart to know you have a market before growing the crop. I was talking to a fellow farmer who knew of a couple who had 30 acres of vegetables and no market. They went under.

I run a small certified organic vegetable CSA.
My husband is a conventional grain farmer.

We also have chickens for eggs (approximately 30 dozen weekly), meat chickens once per year, maple syrup operation, a couple hives, soapmaking. Each of them adds about $1000-2000/year to the rest of the operation.
Wow!!!! It sounds like you have a good operation! How many chickens do you have?thanks

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Dad has an orchard, which he normally takes his own produce furthur north to sell....but that is coming to an end now.
I have a decent poultry project, so I have meat, eggs and a little money from sales to pay all the expenses they incure and around this time of year I do a couple of hatches, which puts me somewhat over the top....the Easter hatch is a big winner. I can never sell enough eggs to make up for what I will make putting all those eggs in the incubator.
We have a few raised beds for intensive gardening and are now working on verticle gardening to offset our food bills.
We are not full=time farmers. All we have are side-line farming activities to supplement our incomes, but if need be, we will get into it full-time, should an emergency arise.

Blaundee

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We rarely MAKE money, but we SAVE money because we grow a lot of our own food, and we're getting to where we'll be growing ALL of it before long. We do make money when we have enough rain to grow wheat, that we harvet either for the grain or the cow hay, then sell that- but you have to have the land, tractors, combines, tires, diesel, etc, and after putting out all that money it may not rain and then you'll have that cash down the drain.

I'm not saying you can't make money, I'm just saying WE don't. But, we haven't tried really hard to make money at it- if I managed and marketed the chickens differently, then I'd be able to make some money off of them. Also, we have recently gotten started in sheep, and I expect that they will make us some money because a lot of people around here like to eat sheep.