How do you prep when you move every few years?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I was hoping to hear from people who have experience in this, I do a lot more than most but end up donating huge stocks to the food banks when moving time comes. I really hate to do that but we have a weight limit we max every time.
So what would you suggest? I have been a prepper for many years but I want to hear others opinions/suggestions and pinpoint from others what I can be doing better!

SSDreamin

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Since you have to hit a weight limit, I would suggest trying to store more foods in dehydrated form. Unfortunately, that won't work with a lot of things (flour, sugar, wheat) but could help with other things (fruits and veggies). :idunno

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Most of my food storage is freeze dried already ;)
Due to food allergies we don't store wheat, dairy anymore either.

What kills me is I look at our house and it is sparse compared to a lot of families but when you have kids those pounds add up quick, add in an array of tools I think are a minimum for an emergency and other useful things we are maxed!

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Our moves are paid for by my husbands work, we have a set amount of weight based on our family size.

Doozerdoo1

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Freeze dried is always the way to go! Stock up on a years basics, things you eat each day, incorporate your dehydrated food and you can do quit well. I say order all your dehydrated food when you have an address and have the next two years shipped there. Unfortunately you will be able to only stock so much, but by the looks of what's coming down the pike soon, you may not b e moving all that much more :/

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I feel like we have the knowledge to survive but not the means which is very frustrating :he

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
If the company will move most of it for you at their expense, how much more would it be for you to ship the rest at your own expense? Does it work out to less than if you had to purchase/preserve it all again?

sufficientforme

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
It is not really worth it and the bigger factor is we never know if we will have land, garage, etc so we hate to haul it across the country and then have to try to work around it when we get there. :barnie I know sounds like a big pain but I am not sure what we can really change, and my hubbies job is not one of them, he loves his work!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I guess you'll have to store what you can, under the circumstances, and have just have faith about it all. That's what I'm doing at the moment...gave all my stuff away to those who wanted it and just threw up my hands and let it all go. Feels good! :)