How do you skin your potatoes?

Potatoes- how do you deal with skins?

• Pare with a knife (knife towards you, thumb to steady and apply the pressure)

Votes: 6 75.0%
  • Peel with a vegetable peeler

Votes: 3 37.5%
  • Peel with a knife (cut away from you in strokes)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I hadn't heard of that one, but at most my family had a metal scrubber to remove stuff.

We ate potaoes mashed or in soups/stews the most and it was always russets since that's what my great uncle grows.

I went looking and found conflicting information on of they can use sprout inhibitor on organic potatoes since they aren't grown in it. That stuff is nasty and most commercial potatoes are misted with it.

My uncle doesn't use it since he sells to the fast food market and they get processed fast. We have to keep boxes of his spuds in the dark and about 40° and they will last 6 months before they are sprouted too bad. We always knock off the sprouts if we see any to keep them firmer longer.

Stores keeping the potatoes in the light so they turn green also irritates me to no end. I was always taught all green must be fully removed as well as they eye areas that have sprouted. Now I know it's because they produce toxic solanine.

I get weird looks at the store when I sniff the potato bags. It's actually the only way to truly get a good idea how good the potatoes in the bags are. Rotten potatoes can't hide from the smell test.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I remember seeing some advertisements for a pair of potato peeling gloves. Must work on the same principle as the pot scrubber.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You have to boil the potatoes whole for a few minutes before those gloves will work. I had a friend get some. It's extra time and work and really just made a mess. You can do the same thing with a paper towel

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
For our own home grown taters, we just scrub them well...new potatoes tend to have thin skins so sometimes that removes the skin. For store bought potatoes, I use a paring knife with cuts towards me...everyone in our family does it that way. Veggie peelers just seem awkward to me and I can have it peeled faster with a knife.

lcertuche

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I usually do peel them. I scrub them good and then peel. The peels are saved with my bones for stock. After stock is drained the rest is fed to my critters (dogs and/or chickens).