How do YOU spell "chicken"? Kind of a Scouting thread...

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I agree it was the camping the kids really enjoyed. Even if they were just sleeping in a tent in someone's backyard, but learning the skills. My daughter went on to attend a girl scout survival skill camp called Mojave that she still talks about, almost 20 years later, as a formative thing for her. She is still proud of her accomplishments!

but we really liked the songs and have started teaching them to the granddaughter.....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
I used to sing them to DS in his crib because that's what I knew! That and patriotic songs that we learned in elementary school music class.
More than once this past weekend we were told something or asked something that I remembered learning at GS camp. I remember little from our actual troop meetings. Both of us women brought a bandana. We were taught they could be head coverings, wash cloths, sweat bands, towels, and so many other things. I've never camped without one.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
We are really broke this year, but I gave my daughter a gift that made her tear up this year, the remnants of her junior girl scout uniform on mother's day I had saved.

We had a great troup when she was a kid and a great neighborhood organization. We were in the same town as the scouts who were the "tree muscateers" you may have heard of them, we planted bunches of trees in that town. Our troop were not them however we helped them several times. The community there had donated a building (tiny old house) and empty lot in the middle of a neighborhood to the scouts and all the troops used it. It had a huge fire pit and all the kids had planted trees there over the years and it was like being in the woods in the middle of the city. A lot of the girls had their first camp out there and we had community scouting events there. It was a really wonderful thing for any community to have. It made it really easy to be a good scout leader, a place to store your supplies and a location for every meeting. The grounds were locked when not in use so it was not misused, only the scout leaders had the key. It was called Camp Eucalyptus and my daughter still remembers the place very very fondly.

When we were doing cub scouts, we met in different homes....booooaring....

Henrietta23

Yard Farmer
Reaction score
We were laughing that the first thing former CT GSs usually ask each other is "Which camp did you go to?" We didn't do a lot of service projects other than singing Christmas carols at the nursing home. The Cubs do more which I like. I hate the selling stuff part but the more popcorn DS sells the more $ goes into his personal scout account. He did pretty well this year and paid for almost all of his week at camp! I get to go free as a leader.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
I think it makes a huge difference who the scouting parents around you are. When we lived in El Segundo, the group was so well run. We had monthly leader meetings where we planned everything and we participated in all the major GS events through the year and the older girls really taught the younger ones. I enjoyed it a lot. I volunteered at the daisy and brownie level and the girls are just so darn cute at that stage. My daughter stayed in through juniors. I did as well, it seems by the time they are cadets it isn't considered "cool" to be a scout. Sad.....but now that my daughter is a young adult she proudly boasts about her girl scouting skills. She still builds a fire in the fireplace the way we taught her in GS! Actually, I do too.