How do you spend your money to further your SS goals?

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tanks, we did that once when we moved but the problem is when my dad doesn't get paid, we have to live somehow. And it seems the worst time of the year for us is always the winter. If he didnt get paid for an extended period in the summer, we could easily grow or buy at the farmers market but the fact is... it always happens in the winter so we're forced to live off credit. This year, its been our taxes... he's $3000 short of his $27,000 for taxes because one of his contracts haven't paid since NOVEMBER. Yes, they're like 3 months overdue and its not a small amount.

My credit card, which is the $2000 one is the first to go though because I need to apply for a line of credit for university, unless the other cards get paid off fairly quickly after mine does and my dad can pay for my education, I will be looking into a line of credit. At least I have a good credit rating lol

Hang on.. I think I totally misread you there Tanks LOL ... Nevermind everything I said if thats the case.

Iceblink

Maa Maa Mama
Reaction score
Last year we spent $ on buying a house and land, building a barn, and putting in some fruit trees and perennial fruits.

This year we will be spending money on fencing, building a hay/rabbit shed, planting more trees, enlarging the garden, and remodeling the bathroom. I am researching green building methods and materials.

Oh, and the constant low flow of money for classes. Woodworking classes, home repair and building classes, beekeeping classes, ect.

Once I have more skills, and 'renewable barterables' I will concentrate on trading for more plants and animals.

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
We are trying to buy some livestock this year, if not this year, DEFINITELY next year when we are moving to the farm. This winter we spent lots of money on seeds, garden tools and chickens. Well, not lots, but enough.

This spring, we are buying a pressure canner and supplies related to canning. We are making a big pantry in a small back room.

Next year, we want to make a greenhouse off of the house.

As we can afford it, we would like to buy solar panels to power various things. I would love a laptop charger that went from solar, as well as battery chargers that do the same. If we come into extra money, we want to set up solar panels to power a generator.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Speaking of solar panels...

My nan has a pacemaker, and the doctors were reevaluating her power situation and my dad, COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY, suggested they stick a solar panel on her sunday hat and then she can become self-sufficient..

Oh I have never laughed more in my life... we'll just say my dad is a little on the loopy side.

Ldychef2k

Survival Chef
Reaction score
Well, I spent six months storing food, water, cleaning and health supplies, canning, dehydrating, freezing, using alternative cooking methods, teaching myself basic skills from our foremothers, and learning how to garden.

Jan 1, 2010, I essentially stopped spending, and I am living on what I have stored, paying bills and then allowing only $25 every two weeks (last pay period was bad, and it was $18.50) for all living expenses, including food, prescription meds and gasoline. I have been significantly blessed by God this first month. I have scarecly spent $45 all month. Because I have so much stocked up, I hope to make it an entire year like this. I hope somehow to get hold of or build a 160 watt or greater solar generator.

So that's my SS goal...to store things, figure out ways to replace them when they run out, learn how to make and repair as many things as I can, get as far off grid as possible, and feed myself and my family with food I grow myself. Just like pretty most of the people here do as a matter of course. This is how I plan to at least semi retire when I turn 62 in a couple of years.

So, in six months I bought a pressure canner, a dehydrator, garden tools, rototiller, built a rocket stove, created a portable solar cooker, started a cob oven, baked cakes, cornbread and biscuits in a cardboard box, and came into 1350 jars (close to half were given to me). I still have to master dutch oven cooking.

I am wracking my brain about what I may be forgetting. I have probably said all of this a hundred times before and am irritating everyone's last nerve...so if you haven't been "fortunate" enough to hear it, most of it is on my blog anyway.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
$25!

Sheesh

I had thought about storing lots of gas for the truck in the big 25-50 litre tanks. Hmm, you have me thinking now kind of lol... its too late to think... must go and put hot water in for the chickens or else it'll be frozen solid in the morning

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
lupinfarm said:

My nan has a pacemaker, and the doctors were reevaluating her power situation and my dad, COMPLETELY SERIOUSLY, suggested they stick a solar panel on her sunday hat and then she can become self-sufficient..

Oh I have never laughed more in my life... we'll just say my dad is a little on the loopy side.
LOL I'm picturing a little old lady walking out of church with a solar panel on her bonnet. Priceless.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
peachykeen said:
lupinfarm said:

LOL I'm picturing a little old lady walking out of church with a solar panel on her bonnet. Priceless.
LOL now just think about it this way... My nan is welsh, very welsh... very very very welsh... and she lives in Essex, England...

hmm, I am somehow picturing a massive heart attack the minute she leaves the hospital.....................

peachykeen

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Ldychef2k said:
Well, I spent six months storing food, water, cleaning and health supplies, canning, dehydrating, freezing, using alternative cooking methods, teaching myself basic skills from our foremothers, and learning how to garden.

Jan 1, 2010, that all stopped and I am living on what I have stored, allowing only $25 every two weeks for all living expenses, including food, prescription meds and gasoline. Because I have so much stocked up, I hope to make it an entire year like this. I hope somehow to get hold of or build a 160 watt or greater solar generator.

So that's my SS goal...to store products, figure out ways to replace them when they run out, learn how to make and repair as many things as I can, get as far off grid as possible, and feed myself and my family with food I grow myself. Just like pretty most of the people here do as a matter of course. This is how I plan to at least semi retire when I turn 62 in a couple of years.
Wow, that is exactly what I would like to do!! If you dont mind me asking, what did you can and how many cans did you end up with? Just wonderinfg how people figure out how much stuff to can.

Did you buy a dehydrator? What did you dehydrate with it? Hubby and I are looking into buying one shortly.

I am also trying to learn skills I wish my mother or grandmother could have taught me. Sewing, knitting, now I am going to try canning and gardening. Things I will pass on to my children, as they are important skills.

lupinfarm

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
peachykeen said:
Ldychef2k said:

Jan 1, 2010, that all stopped and I am living on what I have stored, allowing only $25 every two weeks for all living expenses, including food, prescription meds and gasoline. Because I have so much stocked up, I hope to make it an entire year like this. I hope somehow to get hold of or build a 160 watt or greater solar generator.

So that's my SS goal...to store products, figure out ways to replace them when they run out, learn how to make and repair as many things as I can, get as far off grid as possible, and feed myself and my family with food I grow myself. Just like pretty most of the people here do as a matter of course. This is how I plan to at least semi retire when I turn 62 in a couple of years.
Wow, that is exactly what I would like to do!! If you dont mind me asking, what did you can and how many cans did you end up with? Just wonderinfg how people figure out how much stuff to can.

Did you buy a dehydrator? What did you dehydrate with it? Hubby and I are looking into buying one shortly.

I am also trying to learn skills I wish my mother or grandmother could have taught me. Sewing, knitting, now I am going to try canning and gardening. Things I will pass on to my children, as they are important skills.
peachykeen, I believe a while ago someone posted on here I think directions on making your own dehydrator. I have a store about 6 hours away that sells dehydrators but they are rather on the spendy side. We're making our own this year.