How do you store your extra feed?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Boogity said:
HandledWithCare said:
I can't free range them because of a pair of redtail hawks that have moved into a tree right over their run.
Don't you own a gun?
Normally, it's illegal to shoot a hawk. You can face stiff fines and even imprisonment. And, even if you're in an area where it's legal to kill a hawk that's eating your livestock, you can still get into trouble. If you must shoot one, the recommended action is SSS.

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
hawks are much too beneficial for me to risk shooting one, illegal or not...
theres penty of ways to keep fre-rangers safer from hawks, and to discourage hawks fomr nesting locally that shooitn gat them is unnessicary.

daver

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Back to the original topic, I have some commercial (neophrene) pickle barrels with screw on lids. Can these be used for storing large amounts of poultry feed? I presently use metal cans but I bought these for another use and I still have some hanging around.

Now I have been known to pop a few rounds to chase the hawks away. Usually effective.

HandledWithCare

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Boogity said:
HandledWithCare said:
I can't free range them because of a pair of redtail hawks that have moved into a tree right over their run.
Don't you own a gun?
I have a compound bow I'm learning to hunt with but I can't aim. It's legal to protect your livestock here and in my area there are as many hawks as their are cottontails and they both give me fits. I'd happily run them off if anything worked but they seem pretty comfortable to sit around and stalk my birds!

On topic, how long does most "commercial" poultry and rabbit feed last if stored in unopened bags?

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Something that you may want to try . . . buy some M-80 or Cherry Bomb fire crackers (these are much more than little firecrackers) and use a slingshot to launch them up to the hawks. I have done this successfully whenever I see a hawks nest in the spring in our woods.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
HandledWithCare said:
Boogity said:
HandledWithCare said:
Don't you own a gun?
I have a compound bow I'm learning to hunt with but I can't aim. It's legal to protect your livestock here and in my area there are as many hawks as their are cottontails and they both give me fits. I'd happily run them off if anything worked but they seem pretty comfortable to sit around and stalk my birds!

On topic, how long does most "commercial" poultry and rabbit feed last if stored in unopened bags?
I'm curious too. Assuming in the garage, in a trash can, protected from direct rain and rodents.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Don't know about other feeds but I know horse feeds they recommend no more than 3 months. I would think it would be the same for other type feeds.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Yeah I've heard three months, too. But we need to allow some common sense here as well. Check the feed often and be aware of moisture in the bottom of the container. I have successfully stored some grains for 12 months simply inside steel drums with tight fitting lids.

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Local feed store (Murdock's) had sale this weekend for metal trash cans, 30 gallons, $26. Bought 3 .. that's all would fit in the car we had with us. Plan to go back this week and get another 5-10. Will put two in our basement pantry for salt, flour, sugar, etc. Made room in the garage for quite a few ... they won't stack once full, but they'll keep grain good and tight.

Plus, we decided to pare down our flock. Our biggest rooster and a few girls who aren't pulling their weight are headed to freezer camp in a couple of weeks.

Anyway, these trash cans ... they were stacked together but they had put cardboard squares in the bottom so they weren't stuck together. I made sure to check after what's I read in reviews about the thinness of metal trash cans these days and that they dent very easily. Lids fit snugly.

Glad this thread got started. Made me think.