How far do bees travel?

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
While I was out at the barn earlier, I walked past a yellow pepper that I had tossed the other day. Apparently the chickens didn't like it, but today I noticed the bees did. and they were bees--not yellow jackets. Honey bees. Which makes me ponder, how far will bees travel for a food source? No one in my immediate area that I know of has bees, there is a lady about 20 minutes away who has some. could they possibly be a wild swarm? There were about 8 or 9 on the pepper. and who knew they would eat peppers?

Mainergal

Power Conserver
Reaction score
I've been reading up in preparation for next spring, gonna try a top bar hive. Bees can travel up to a 4 mile radius from the hive. That's why you rarely find organic honey, it's "natural", but hard to control what is happening in the neighboring fields to be able to call it organic.

dragonlaurel

Improvising a more SS life
Reaction score
Haven't heard of them eating peppers, but it's interesting. Maybe you need a hive. Top bars sound much easier to work with. I want one when I can move to some land.

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
About 5 miles is the max for normal conditions. However, being the time of year and less natural food sources, I understand they will go farther. That may also be why they were on peppers.. there is sugar in them. If you were so inclined, you could feed them. This time of year a 2 parts sugar to 1 part water would be the way to go. A shallow pan with some twigs and things they can stand on them and not drown. If you have kids around, its a great way to show them how fascinating they can bee :)

miss_thenorth

Frugal Homesteader
Reaction score
Bees are definately on my list--Is there any way to capture these guys and get them to stay here? I can build a top bar hive this winter. If its not possible for these guys, I'm still hopeful. I was just reallly happy to see these guys!!!

Bethanial

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Good luck! I haven't fully decided whether or not I want bees. Honey - and natural, unprocessed at that! - would be fabulous, but bees are just so, well, sting-y. But I would def go top bar if I do it - back problems, and the less weight to lift, the better!

Rebecka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Coming into winter like this, you likely don't want to capture them now. Even if you did find a swarm ( thousands of bees) they are not likely to make it through the winter with no food stores. If there are wild bees in your area, they will swarm somewhere around mid spring. Thats plenty of time to read up, build a hive and maybe even consider getting box bees. Wild bees aren't bad, but you are at more risk of aggression. I know people with mean bees and I don't want a thing to do with it. Our bees are so gentle we need almost no gear to handle them. In fact, they are so good, we have them less than 100 feet from the house and frequently forget we have well over 100K bees :D

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
They can travel up to 4 miles to get food. Atleast thats what Ive always heard. Probably a wild swarm is near. I would not try and capture the bees, we caught a swarm in June and I seriously doubt they will make it. It takes them a while to build up their honey stores.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
It depends on how close the flower is to the hive. :hide

Latest posts