How fat is obese?

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I have always been "chubby"; there has never been a time since my early teens (when I first started paying attention) that I haven't been rounder than was the generally accepted norm. I realize now that what I thought of, back then, as "much, much too fat", was probably just a teen aged perception of imperfection (you know, like when the zit on your face seems massive, even when its not :rolleyes:), but still, I was never skinny. And over the years, and decades, I have added to that, despite serious and near constant dieting. Only a few pounds a year, but its been quite a few years now. So, anyway, I finally decided that I refuse to go up another clothes size, and began "low-carbing" about 6 weeks ago - and am pleased to say that, rather than buying clothes in the next size up, I am able to zip the jeans that I still have that are a size down. (Perhaps they don't exactly "fit", but they will, very soon :lol:)
Today I was reading a book ("Why We Get Fat" by Gary Taubes), and there was a reference to a woman who was 5'4" and 185# who was considered obese. I am 5'4" tall and, up until a few weeks ago I weighed 185#(upper limit for me). Fat, yes; even too fat, but I have never considered myself obese. I think of obese as a person who wears XL clothes (I do not, and wouldn't even if I were to go up that extra size, or 2 or 3), or, say, a woman lacking feminine contours - no hips, no indentation at the waist, just round. There are a lot of such women around here, and, I think, just about everywhere. But, while indubitably fat, I have always had a feminine figure (albeit Rubenesque). So the reference shocked me, and I looked up the clinical definition of obese and found that, indeed, 5'4" and 185# is at the low end of "obese".
Clinical definition or not, I still don't put my (former) self in that category (self delusion is a wonderful thing ;))
Aside from what the graphs say, what is YOUR definition of obese? Is it a number - x#+y"? Or is it a shape? Or a clothes size? Or something else?;)

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I've seen very few people that I would consider obese. Overweight, yes, but not obese.

To me an obese person is one that is huffing and puffing waddling from their front door to the sidewalk.

Funny thing about that term obese. I'm 5'4.5". A few years ago, I weight 150 or so. And, according to some charts, I was obese. But, I wore a size 8! Now, I've dropped down to about 130. And, I can't button some of the jeans that I wore then!

IMO, too many people are overly concerned w/weight. It is NOT a good indication of overall health. Some people can eat anything and not gain an ounce. But, they might not be in the greatest shape. Whereas, someone that is "overweight", but is active and has no health problems is generally looked down on as being fat.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
To me, obese has always been the point one gets to where normal day to day activities that should be done easily, can't be, because either you're so out of shape and pudgy that you can't breath, or that you just don't bend because of belly. :p I think people can be larger than "average" and still be their own perfectly healthy and capable "normal" regardless of numbers on a scale or height. For myself, I'm 5'9, and can't get over 165 without feeling like crap and draggy. When i graduated high school, I was 130, and looked like a crack head I was so sickly and skinny looking. :lol: I try to fall in between those numbers now...generally more toward the higher end of them, because that's where i feel best, and look best IMO. I never really cared what anyone else thought....quite especially those in the medical field :p who want me to be about 140 to be a "healthy" weight. Well their version of healthy looks like crap on me, and so I made up my own version of healthy, according to what my body is telling me. Wrong or right, I like me about how i am right now :hu

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The obese show up at WalMart the 3rd of the month, riding the electric carts, with way too much body parts hanging off, drooping, guided by gravity, folds of flab aimed at the floor.

Does that define obese good enuf fer ya'? :lol:

so lucky

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:
The obese show up at WalMart the 3rd of the month, riding the electric carts, with way too much body parts hanging off, drooping, guided by gravity, folds of flab aimed at the floor.

I've always wanted to ask one of those poor people, "Did you become disabled after you gained all that weight, or did you gain all the weight after you became disabled?" One probably followed the other, but I truly don't know which. It would make sense to gain the weight after becoming disabled, but.....

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
baymule said:

That is sort of my definition too, which is why I was shocked that 5'4" & 185# was considered obese. I swear I feel quite svelte when I see many of the people around town. Though I imagine what you have described would probably be "morbidly obese", and that's a whole different, and much larger (oops! sorry :p) subject.

Wannabefree, I tend to agree. I think ideal weight is where an individual feels comfortable, not out of breath at every small exertion, not miserable every time one sees oneself in a mirror. I had reached a point of not being comfortable, and so I am now doing something about it. I already feel better. This carb cutting seems to be working, where calorie counting was always an exercise in futility for me.

DianeS

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick, we have a LOT in common. I was 5'4" and 182 lbs. I never realized that was obese, either. Until I was bored in the doctor's office waiting for him to come in, and perused the BMI chart. UGH! I mean, really - I was a size 12! That's the USA average size for women! How can that be obese? But it was.

And yet, I could do anything I wanted to. Heck, I hiked Pikes Peak in Colorado just two years before - that's a 14, 000 foot mountain for those of you who don't know. It takes 10+ hours to walk up it. No problem. I heft 50-lb bales of hay with no issue. Etc, etc, etc.

I started working out in September. Twice a week, about 2 hours per session. No weight change. I started dieting in January (just counting calories), about a two pound change. I starting low-carbing at the end of Feb, another two lbs.

I'm incredibly frustrated. SERIOUSLY frustrated. I am now comfortable in the jeans that felt tight before, and gone down two holes in my belt, so I've lost a little size. But seriously, after all that I weigh 178-179 now. And that's still obese.

I also always thought that "obese" meant people who couldn't do anything. The ones who had to use the scooters in the grocery store. The people who couldn't carry a purse because it was too heavy. Even the people who couldn't fit in airline seats might have counted. Certainly the eating habits of obese people were unhealthy - I was sure you only got to be obese by eating cupcakes and potato chips all day and never getting off the couch or even sitting up on it.

It was shocking when I realized that I looked at "obese" every day in the mirror.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
The thing w/those BMI charts, I don't believe they take muscle into consideration. While people like to say that muscle weighs more than fat, it doesn't. A pound of fat weighs the same as a pound of muscle. But, the muscle is more dense, so someone that's a muscular 185 will not be a big as a person that's a fat 185.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I go with the medical definition of more than 30% over ideal weight, assuming we're talking fat and not muscle.

me&thegals

A Major Squash & Pumpkin Lover
Reaction score
I think there's a misunderstanding between obese and morbidly obese. Obese is significantly overweight. Morbidly obese is even heavier. My boss is medically morbidly obese but walks around just fine. Someone who is having a hard time getting around is dangerously overweight.

I think our society has developed such a weight problem that we see normal weight people as thin, and overweight people as normal weight. We've kind of reset our expectations for weight. For myself, if I feel fat rolls when bending over, if I grunt when tying my shoes, or if I feel heavy while running, I know it's time to drop some weight :)