how I kill a chicken without equipment, and without slitting throats

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
A friend of mine brought some old roosters over to process, since he likes that my technique involves no suffering. This is the method I use, and you only need a stick and a knife for disjointing, skinning, and gutting.

(Note, I typically use two metal fence posts for the beheading, but they were lost under the snow. The stick had a curve in it making it more difficult. I can usually behead with one hand.)

-Ashley

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That is a good video and shows exactly how you kill a chicken. Be proud of yourself that you know how to process your own meat. Lots of people have no clue. I rolled up a cardboard killing cone, secured with what else, duct tape. I slit their throats. I like your method too, both are quick and there is no suffering. :thumbsup

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
I'd have to disagree with the "involves no suffering" part...if the bird were completely stunned with that blow it wouldn't be moving that much and the decapitation involves pulling and stretching and much time before the head separates. Too, too much stress on the bird that's not necessary.

You could place it in a cone~or just hang it upside down~ and slice the head off in a quarter of that time~one slice, no wrenching the bird apart~ and the bird would be in a position for a good bleed out.

Good to see a young girl doing the do, though...not many young ladies out there killing food. :thumbsup

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Beekissed, those chickens were dead on the hit, the reason they were still twitching is that I usually perform an internal decapitation on them, so they are essentially the stereotypical "chicken running around with their head cut off". They made no sound, and their movement was without purpose. The second one showed noticable decerebrate rigidity even on tape. They were out on the hit, I promise you. :)

As a side note, It's usually MUCH easier to do than I'm showing, I had major surgery recently and still haven't gotten my strength or balance back. The pulling isn't usually that difficult, even with a bad stick and I wasn't aware the couple who wanted me to teach them would be taping me.

-Ashley

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've tried the break the neck with the stick on the ground. I cannot physically do it. I don't have enough strength. So this method is not for everyone.

I've defaulted to loppers and just taking the head off with one quick snip. No missing and quick.

MiracleWik

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Hinotori, that's how I used to do it. A pair of curved pruners does the trick, but I'm always worried about the still living head. You never know how long it lives, so feel better with a strike first.

-Ashley

Cindlady2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Looks like a good method for allot of people. However being not quite 5' tall I can see an issue especially with larger birds.

RWDitto

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I vote for cones, less muscle stress. But, I think that any way that gets more people involved in processing their own meat, is good.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I still remember as a child watching my mother kill some pigeons. I think she was going on stories she had been told by her parents... she grabbed the pigeon by the head and gave a sharp jerk to break the neck. Unfortunately, she did it a little too hard-- the head snapped clean off and the flapping body sailed off over the fence into the neighbor's yard :eek: