How I saved up money and bought my own house, mortgage fre, in 5 years

kyle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
When i was a teen, I liked spending, partying and so on. Like us all :) i worked pretty hard, often 12-16 hour days in construction. made good money, but had nothing to show for it after all the "expenses".

So i\I tried a method my dad said he used when he tried to raise a baby and buy a house when young. Envelopes. Nothing new, people here may use them.

basically its like this.

Right down every bill you have one an individual envelope. for me it was like this:

Gas
Insurance (car i was too poor to have health insurance)
electricity
water
rent
food ( i divided it into days, i had a budget for each day)
Monday through Sunday, 7 envelopes.
savings.
spending
phone

yours will vary to your needs.

the trick is to NEVER ever take anything OUT of an envelope. no matter what. I had a lot of hungry nights, i wont lie.

Write down teh cost of each bill as best you can guestimate. A tad more is better than less.

As all the bills are paid (no penalties) you can keep th left over in that bill for the next month. When you totally catch up on say electricity bills, start putting the left over into phone, or something else you behind on. I find it more efficient to get rid of smaller bills first, despite feeling i should try to tackle the big ones first. I foudn that going after the big ones first, i got overwhelmed and gave up a lot easier. Getting rid of easy small debts first made my life WAY less stressful, really it did.

over time i got out of debt, and instead of putting the extras into otehr bills, or using it for spending i put it ALL in to saving. I had a rule. I would *never* touch my savings account. In fact i made it so i had to go into the bank in person and sign to take out money with a family member (co account). This discouraged impulse buying. Also never have a debit card...or credit card. Sorry, i have yet to meet a single person that is 100% self controlled about those things...

Also i rented with a friend, split the rent makes things way cheaper. At one point i lived in my car, and camped in the summer....i know this is not what many would do, but man can you save a TON of cash without rent/electricity and water bills....i mean a LOT! but its not comfortable, no question.

When i used envelopes, i could clearly see what cost what, i could put the mone into them right when i got paid, and when i spent my spending money, i was basically sh*t out of luck fo rht erest of the month. Its a self controll thing, but it makes self control easier. My father always says, if you have money with you, it will ge tspent. That is very true. Have a few bucks in your pocket when your downtown. "Hmmm, i am thirsty, maybe i will jsut get a drink." $2 down. "Maybe i can get a quick bite ate Mcdonalds." $7 bucks down.

I started recording everything i spent, and was SHOCKED at how about 30% of my ENTIRE paycheck went to crap. snack foods, movies, beer, random stuff that now sits at the bottom of a rubbermaid tub, which also cost me $5 and just stores other garbage i dont care about anymore.

Some thing si found really useful to at least realize.

Avoid spending on convenience. No credit cards and such.

Don't carry more money than i actually need when i go out. If i know i need $50 worth of groceries, i bring $60 and dont stop at the gas station or movie store.

dont have cable or internet. where i am from in canada, the combo sets you back $100 a month, craziness. And i find TV to be absolutely mindless now, and internet is free at the library.

ride a bike, or walk....gas adds up, really it does.

dont drive a run down car...maintenance ona beater far exceeds the cost of buying a newish, in-good-shape car.

also have a car that has cheap insurance...aka granny car. avoid the sports versions and gas suckers.

and the easiest, most common sense thing to do, don't be lazy. how much energy does it take to flip off a light switch, turn off the tv/computer/car when not used, walk to the store instead of drive etc. That was a huge saver for me, i sold my car and bought a bike. everything was within 10km for me, so it was feasible. my work wasnt, so i quit and took a $2/hour wage cut, but it worked out that i had far more $ in the end than making $2 more an hour and driving/insuring a car.

just some thoughts to hopefully help people. it dug me out of a hole. i am 24 years old, and own 5 acres with 2 houses in a decent area close to town in a very expensive real estate province. its a fixer uper, no doubt....but its mine :) Though i have to say i had a lot of help from family, so i am lucky that way as well.

hope you find what your looking for in your life, i did :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
great post Kyle
I enjoyed reading it

for your age, you are very disciplined
being alone to do this is sometimes easier than a family with little kids :p but so much of that post had great common sense values!

yup, I got an envelope system lol

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I tried the envelope system, but it didn't work. I have a husband that can't control his spending and was constantly taking the money out. Now, I don't tell him if I have money. And, I don't buy something I want until I've saved up the money for it. Then, if I still want it, I go ahead and buy it. If I no longer want it, then I have the money for something else.

kyle

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Yes, the envelope system needs some self control. It may not help a lot with that, though it did for me, but it helps one keep track of where they spend it.

I was single when i did that. when i met my girlfriend (now my wife), saving that much was impossible. You know that saying, buy your house before you get married, very true. goes both ways, amn or woman. just easier to save when alone it seems. But i have been married for 4 of those 5 years i saved, guess i lucked out to have a woman with the same determination.

one problem i had was keeping track. when i jsut had one account that i took form to pay everything with, i found i never really knew exactly how much went where, and it took out from that account for small wants. Wen i divided things up into the envelopes, i could control it all on payday, then just stop myself from going into the envelope for something its not intended for.

ps. i also kept them in a safe. made it inconvenient to access so i wouldn't be tempted to go buy a chocolate bar or something. use our laziness to our advantage :)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
:thumbsup

Congrats on the house Kyle! You've done well. Mortgage free is a GREAT feeling. It took us 20 years to save enough to buy our home outright. At least by that time the kids were almost grown up. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Very interesting system.

Can anyone translate that into direct deposit, online banking and existing debt?

g

Wildsky

Femivore
Reaction score
We use something similar for our large seasonal purchases - HAY (mostly) or fencing etc..

I have a little tupperware tub in my sewing cupboard and every week we put in $20 or so. When hay time comes around we have plenty of cash to buy as much as we need as well as paying for the gas to go get it.

I use a simiar system for my kids allowance, both of them have a little tupperware container in my sewing cupboard. They need bank accounts at this point, but I'm not too thrilled about handing out their Social Sec. Numbers.

Since being laid off from my job, money isn't going in as fast as it used to.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
W/money in an account, what I've done is figure out what it's all for. For instance, if you're needing to put money aside for hay, a new freezer, and new tires for your car, let's say, you put the money in. Then, in a notebook, you have each of the items written down, as well as how much of the savings is in each "account". So, if you put in, let's say, $30, then $10 goes into each account. This way, it's not as easy to spend the money, plus you're getting interest. Once you get the money for the item, that balance goes to 0, and you start saving up for something else.

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Excellent advice, Kyle. Thanks for taking the time to put it all down!

I wish I'd done better with my money when I was younger. I'd be really ahead of the game now if I had, given the good paying jobs I had at the time. Responsibility with money is something I will definitely make a point to teach my kids (my parents sure didn't.)

It is amazing how much money is eaten up by impulse purchases, fast food, trips to the convenience store. I agree, if you don't have any money on you, you're less likely to spend it. And you'll do fine just fine without that junk (thirsty as you might think you are at the moment, it will be forgotten.)

I've never done the envelope thing and we do operate on a debit card. But we keep a very detailed Excel spreadsheet of our budget and my husband gives me a little piece of paper every payday with what amount of money is allotted where and I keep a running total of what's left in each category (he handles the bills, I handle the household expenses.) Takes more discipline, to be sure, but at our age now, it works for us. :cool:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
kyle said:
I was single when i did that. when i met my girlfriend (now my wife), saving that much was impossible. You know that saying, buy your house before you get married, very true. goes both ways, amn or woman. just easier to save when alone it seems. But i have been married for 4 of those 5 years i saved, guess i lucked out to have a woman with the same determination.
I'm sure that was not luck but was by design...it was part of the attraction. How a potential mate views money and responsibility SHOULD be a deciding factor as to whether or not to continue dating.....you are a fine example! So young, so wise!