How I Use Rotten Bananas

journey11

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Good idea! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I already give my chickens the overripe bananas (one of their favorite treats). I will have to think on this a little and try mixing up a special cake just for them... :)

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
journey11 said:
Good idea! Thanks for sharing your recipe. I already give my chickens the overripe bananas (one of their favorite treats). I will have to think on this a little and try mixing up a special cake just for them... :)
It's really fun. I have fun doing with the wild birds, I can only imagine how fun it will be once my chicks are outside and awaiting my special treat. It makes me feel so "homey" even though there's really very little effort put into it.

My father came over to visit and saw some cakes cooling on my stove, and he was like "Yum!" and ready to grab a plate. I'm like, I don't think you want that Daddy, it's full of bird seed! :lol:

He said I treat the animals better than I treat people. I told him it's because the animals treat ME better than people do! :p

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome all you newbies!

If you think this is a good idea stick around a bit! The creative wonderful people on this forum are always knocking my socks off!

BTW that bird bread looks GREAT. I have got to share this one with my bird loving sis!

theegghunter

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I grabbed up a batch of the free bananas at my local store a couple of months ago. They were PERFECT for bread, but my oven hasn't worked for several months, YIKES!! (I have been going a LITTLE crazy without it!) So, I came home, smashed them, measured them out in the amounts that I would need for the amount of bread that I usually make at a time, and froze them with the bag labeled and ready to go when I get my oven!! Seems to work out fine, but am loving THIS idea!! Maybe if I gave my birds these kinds of treats, they wouldn't scream at me the entire time I am hanging out clothes cause they think I am too close to "their" tree!! I LOVE THIS SITE!! Can already hear all those saved pennies rattling around in the bottom of my purse!!! hehe

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
Welcome to the newbies!

You had better bet... money to be saved and a new idea on every page! :)

Buttercup Chillin

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Last month I made up 27 1/2 pints of Banana Jam with the over ripe store bananas.
I don't get them free but a $1 bag will make 2 4Cup batches.

schellie69

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Buttercup Chillin said:
Last month I made up 27 1/2 pints of Banana Jam with the over ripe store bananas.
I don't get them free but a $1 bag will make 2 4Cup batches.
how do you make banana jam I have a DS that would love this.

LauraJean

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Glad everyone likes the tip. Yesterday I put a batch out and it was raining. I want to stress the benefit of overcooking the bread. When it's somewhat hard, it really holds up well, even in the rain.

Frugal Que

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
I made this bread and my chickens LOVED it! What a great idea! Thanks for this very useful tip.